Well that was epic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I always thought a beer shower would be one of those things I'd enjoy, but anytime you have a piece of plastic wedging your poppet open the last thing you think about is how fun it is.

20181029_162059.jpg

And the necessary cleaning from an eight foot beer fountain. What a hobby. Sure glad I had a RIS handy.

A "golden" shower of beer? Or was it a dark beer?
It was IPA; the garage smelled lovely half an hour later. This meant I had to spend what was going to be my bottling time wiping down everything in the splash zone.

I thought the poppet was just gunked up and stuck open, so as I was dragging it out of the garage into the yard with my thumb clamped over it, I asked my wife to grab a rubber mallet amd whack it a few times once I moved my thumb, which didn't do anything except cover us both in beer. Since she is the smart one of the group, she had the brilliant idea to open the PRV so we could examine the situation, which is where I got that picture above.

It was IPA; the garage smelled lovely half an hour later. This meant I had to spend what was going to be my bottling time wiping down everything in the splash zone.

I thought the poppet was just gunked up and stuck open, so as I was dragging it out of the garage into the yard with my thumb clamped over it, I asked my wife to grab a rubber mallet amd whack it a few times once I moved my thumb, which didn't do anything except cover us both in beer. Since she is the smart one of the group, she had the brilliant idea to open the PRV so we could examine the situation, which is where I got that picture above.

What was the plastic from? Broken poppet on the QD? Something else?

What was the plastic from? Broken poppet on the QD? Something else?
That certainly looks like a broken QD poppet.
Since [my wife] is the smart one of the group, she had the brilliant idea to open the PRV
It's amazing how our brains stop being analytical under those circumstances.

I stepped on the spigot, of a repurposed bottling bucket, one time too many. That last time I was looking at 5 gallons of Starsan slowly spreading over the kitchen floor. I don't know why it took me so long to realize that picking up that bucket and putting it in the sink was the easiest, fastest solution. Luckily, as it has proven to be impossible to not spill anything while brewing, most of the brewing area was covered with a couple thick towels.

Luckily, as it has proven to be impossible to not spill anything while brewing, most of the brewing area was covered with a couple thick towels.

One of my greatest wishes--retrospectively--is that I would have installed a trench drain in my garage floor so I could wash things down easily at the end of brew day. Or capture the inevitable spills.

But when we built the house, homebrewing was not on my radar.

One of my greatest wishes--retrospectively--is that I would have installed a trench drain in my garage floor so I could wash things down easily at the end of brew day. Or capture the inevitable spills.

But when we built the house, homebrewing was not on my radar.
When I was brewing on Saturday with my daughter, the bag's knot slipped about an inch plunging the bag back into the wort and sending a small shower of 170° wort all over the patio and I mentioned to her that this is one of the reasons why breweries have concrete floors.

People talk about the Singularity, achieving a higher state of reality or something. I know I'll be there when I can brew and keg without making a mess.

I was brewing last week I opened the ball valve on the kettle letting it drain I was going back into the house and heard splashing on the floor behind me ……. I turn around and see my silicon hose came off and my batch is emptying onto the garage floor :mad: I ran like the cops were chasing me grabbed the hose and jammed it back on the barb burning myself quite nicely in the process I lost a solid half gallon of my sweet nectar and had to clean the floor it was a sad hour :(

I was brewing last week I opened the ball valve on the kettle letting it drain I was going back into the house and heard splashing on the floor behind me ……. I turn around and see my silicon hose came off and my batch is emptying onto the garage floor :mad: I ran like the cops were chasing me grabbed the hose and jammed it back on the barb burning myself quite nicely in the process I lost a solid half gallon of my sweet nectar and had to clean the floor it was a sad hour :(

I've done this before. Why is our instinct to grab the hose and burn ourselves, rather than turning the valve off???

So, after a quick failure analysis, the results were unsurprising. I had assembled my ball lock quick disconnect backwards, with the long end of the plunger facing towards the keg.
I've done this before. Why is our instinct to grab the hose and burn ourselves, rather than turning the valve off???
You just never know how you are going to react to an emergency until you are knee deep into one.

Latest posts

Back