Well that escalated quickly...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
A buddy and I brewed up a couple batches yesterday, this is his Dunkelweizen. OG 1.052, Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. Pitched yeast at about 5:30 pm, last night, and this was at 10:00 this morning. Those are some happy yeast!! (Don't mind the toilet in the background, this is an old bathroom that we no longer use..)

View attachment 1424710809289.jpg

Yeast might be a little to happy, what would you guess the temperature was in the bathroom? Is it possible that it's a little to warm?

68*.. it's a side bathroom and I shut off the vent, slightly, to prevent it from getting too hot. Checked it last night, 68*, and then again when I discovered this mess, still 68*. This yeast was VERY fresh, like Feb 10th fresh. I made a 1 liter starter, per Mr. Malty, and pitched. Now I'm thinking I probably didn't need to do the starter!

Nah, never discount the starter - that's just a particularly active yeast strain. I prefer to pitch my ales at 62, ferment at 65, and then finish at 68-72. It helps with blowoff nonsense to do this, though it will cost you some flavor intensity. But with a flavorful yeast like Weihenstephan it's not a problem

With an ambient at 68 your likely fermenting too warm. Possibly low to mid 70s. This is not really desirable for this yeast strain. Hence the mess. I'd get that FV cooled if I were you.

Well, than it sounds like its just one of those unlucky situations. Maybe next time go with a blow off tube instead of the airlock with this particular yeast.

tumblr_mqrj8na7qB1qkuvcro1_400.gif

I would definitely use a blowoff tube at least for the first couple days, regardless what you're using. They are really cheap to make and can prevent a lot of heartache.

A buddy and I brewed up a couple batches yesterday, this is his Dunkelweizen. OG 1.052, Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. Pitched yeast at about 5:30 pm, last night, and this was at 10:00 this morning. Those are some happy yeast!! (Don't mind the toilet in the background, this is an old bathroom that we no longer use..)

Now you have me worried, I pitched the yeast in my bucket last night. Slid the entire thing into my coat closet in the hallway and threw a heavy jacket over it.
While I have never had a volcano, if i ever were, the hallway closet would be the worst place for this to happen.
I should note that this is the first time I have pitched yeast and not fermented in the basement.

Look on the bright side, the lid lifted off and oozed onto a non-carpeted area. Also no total explosion. 3068 was my first time using any liquid yeast, bit of an eye opener as to what I've seen from ferments in the past. Heads up 3787 Trappist High Gravity makes 3068 look tame.

Now you have me worried, I pitched the yeast in my bucket last night. Slid the entire thing into my coat closet in the hallway and threw a heavy jacket over it.
While I have never had a volcano, if i ever were, the hallway closet would be the worst place for this to happen.
I should note that this is the first time I have pitched yeast and not fermented in the basement.

and now that you're worried, I am too. I have 95 bottles conditioning under every thread of clothing my son and I own. They're in garbage bags inside rubbermaid totes, and I primed for the lowest volume by style.

Looks like you can go all the way to 75 degrees F depending on the profile you are looking for. Did you leave the recommended 33% head space?

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=135

Take that data with a grain of salt, I guarantee that beer would be undrinkable fermented at 75F. It will ferment, sure, but will be bad.

3068 is good in the lower 60's, good balance between banana and clove without being too much. 75F is a banana bomb.

Take that data with a grain of salt, I guarantee that beer would be undrinkable fermented at 75F. It will ferment, sure, but will be bad.

3068 is good in the lower 60's, good balance between banana and clove without being too much. 75F is a banana bomb.

I agree. Most of the recipes I've seen with this strain call for 68f. I know Jamils Recife for his Hefe calls for 62. I've had tasty results at 67. 75 seems way out. I've never had any problems at 67

5.5 gallons of Hefe in A 6 gallon carboy. This is the krausen at its peak.

image.jpg

Well, than it sounds like its just one of those unlucky situations. Maybe next time go with a blow off tube instead of the airlock with this particular yeast.

Yeah, lesson learned!! :smack: I thought about a blowoff, but, I looked at the headspace and thought, "Nah, there's no way it'll get to the top of that..."

Thank baby Jesus I didn't have mine in the closet! As long as you didn't use 3068, you're "probably" ok... lol

Look on the bright side, the lid lifted off and oozed onto a non-carpeted area. Also no total explosion. 3068 was my first time using any liquid yeast, bit of an eye opener as to what I've seen from ferments in the past. Heads up 3787 Trappist High Gravity makes 3068 look tame.

And luckily, it wasn't setting in the little hallway that the wife walks through at 5:00 am, on her way to work... I have a feeling I would've had a not so pleasant wake up call this morning! (I generally set it in this little hallway, that leads to the garage, but, for some weird reason, we decided to put this one in the bathroom... :mug:

I agree. Most of the recipes I've seen with this strain call for 68f. I know Jamils Recife for his Hefe calls for 62. I've had tasty results at 67. 75 seems way out. I've never had any problems at 67

5.5 gallons of Hefe in A 6 gallon carboy. This is the krausen at its peak.

Yeah, I don't see this one getting up to 75. I went ahead and shut the vent completely off, so, it should drop a few degrees during the day. I'll check it again after work, and see if it's still at 70 on the fermenter. Unfortunately, I've only got one fermentation chamber, and, well, MY beer's in there.

On the bright side, I've got my buddy hooked on homebrewing now, and we're having a blast! It's nice to have a helper on brew day!

Temperature totally depends on what you're going for with this one. Same with pitching rate. I just bottled a stout that I fermented with 3068 at 66 degrees. No starter since I intentionally wanted to significantly underpitch. I was actually hoping for more banana flavor than I got. Oh well, but this yeast is a monster.

I just put a hefe in ferm with WLP380. The directions on the yeast tube say to start and keep ferm at 70+. Other sources agree that starting it and keeping it cooler (mid-low 60s) will produce a taste truer to the style. Ultimately, it depends on the outcome you're looking for: more banana, higher ferm temp; more clove, lower ferm temp. I started and will keep mine at ~62F until after active ferm, and then raise it to ~64F after a few days.

Back