well, my mini fridge is just clicking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so my mini fridge, has taken to just clicking..instead of actually cooling.

i'm thinking capacitor bad or something?

any ideas, is it dump fodder, or salvagable? i can change a cap if need be...

Did you figure out your mini fridge issue?

no, haven't taken it apart yet. i only used it once in a while to get a batch ready to keg a day or two before.

but more information on it, i just plugged it in for the hell of it. it sounded like it was running for like 5-10 seconds, then it clicked, stopped running. then i unplugged it and about 30 seconds later it clicked again, while unplugged?

if that narrows it down for anyone else?

no, haven't taken it apart yet. i only used it once in a while to get a batch ready to keg a day or two before.

but more information on it, i just plugged it in for the hell of it. it sounded like it was running for like 5-10 seconds, then it clicked, stopped running. then i unplugged it and about 30 seconds later it clicked again, while unplugged?

if that narrows it down for anyone else?
Sounds like a thermal cutoff if it clicks again after unplugging it.

Sounds like a thermal cutoff if it clicks again after unplugging it.

it must be broke then, if it over heated in 5 seconds? but good idea. (quick google gave me this excerpt)

"
Compressor is tripping on overload. You may just need the overload and relay replaced due to a bad compressor relay. The relay is what switches the compressor from it's start winding to it's run winding. If you pull the relay off, shake it to see if you hear lots of rattling inside, that's a sure sign of a bad relay.

If the relay seems ok, your compressor may be bad. ie, locked rotor or some other internal failure."

well anyone know how to take the start relay off a compressor?

edit: got it, and yeah..shaking it it sounds like a rattle box....

anyone know where i can get a replacement start thingy...

it says

"8EA 401
09 R9R
MEXICO"

i found the over load part of it, aparently they're seperate pieces...

well i got the parts i think i need on the way should be here thursday friday, i'll report back if they work or not....
You should be fine. I've replaced the infamous rattle disk on many of fridges and they fired right up. If you take it apart, it's kind of ingenious how they engineered it.

Engineer 1: Hey bobby... how do we get the compressor to stop if the relay goes bad?
Engineer 2: Easy, Daryl... Stick a Tums between those to contacts there.

my compressor just has 3 male pegs for the thing to stick onto....2 for the start thing, and one for the overload thing.....
If your part doesn't work out this part should work. Here is a little diagram on one I've got sitting around. This one is for compressor sizes 1/4 through 1/3 HP. There are others available if your compressor size is different.

Attachments

• 20220815_184135.jpg
    20220815_184135.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
If your part doesn't work out this part should work. Here is a little diagram on one I've got sitting around. This one is for compressor sizes 1/4 through 1/3 HP. There are others available if your compressor size is different.

so that's what the pins do....thanks for the pin out diagram...

well out of curiosity..i tested the start/run relay with a AA battery, on the start pin, i get the 1.5v, but on the run i get .03? is that proof it's bad should it be totally closed?

Well as a conclusion...i just put the relay and breaker on this fridge about 15 minutes ago, it started at 77f, it has been quietly humming like it should, and now it's at 59f...so i gotta thank all you guys for the help, i was about to haul it to the dump! :bigmug:

Back