Well, Im done with glass carboys!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Along that line of thinking, turkey fryers should be banned so people don't burn their house down. Cars should be banned so people don't crash them. Beer should be banned so people don't get drunk and post stupid things like arborman just did.

We don't ban cars, but we do outlaw drinking and driving.

Let's remember that many, many brewers drink while brewing. So, while you all might be very careful normally, I think we agree that our reactions and decisions are negatively affected when drinking.

I think it's a good idea to occasionally remind ourselves that these things can break. It might seem obvious, but I'll bet only a small percentage of glass carboy users use crates or other protective measures.

Will a 6.5 gallon carboy fit in a standard milk crate?

I should have bought one but when I lived in Italy the glass carboys sold in all of the stores were inside of a basket made of either natural materials or plastic. Presumably to allow for carrying as well as protection. I have not seen anything similar here.

I should have bought one but when I lived in Italy the glass carboys sold in all of the stores were inside of a basket made of either natural materials or plastic. Presumably to allow for carrying as well as protection. I have not seen anything similar here.

Mine do.

We don't ban cars, but we do outlaw drinking and driving.

Let's remember that many, many brewers drink while brewing. So, while you all might be very careful normally, I think we agree that our reactions and decisions are negatively affected when drinking.

So you're saying that drinking should be banned while brewing?

I think it's a good idea to occasionally remind ourselves that these things can break. It might seem obvious, but I'll bet only a small percentage of glass carboy users use crates or other protective measures.

I agree that we should occasionally remind ourselves that these things can break. Like I said before, if you don't trust yourself, stick with plastic.

will a 6.5 gallon carboy fit in a standard milk crate?

I should have bought one but when i lived in italy the glass carboys sold in all of the stores were inside of a basket made of either natural materials or plastic. Presumably to allow for carrying as well as protection. I have not seen anything similar here.

yes

Wasn't this just supposed to be a memorial for the OP's lost beer?
No. Although he doesn't state it, the OP is trying to blame a product for his inability to use it safely. Then others pile on with inflammatory statements. Common sense would tell you, like bja said, that if you're not comfortable using glass then don't. It would also tell you that it's fine to inform people of potential for danger, but it's not ok to make the decision for them. Common sense is not using emotionally charged statements to impose your way of thinking on others.

JustLooking said:
No. Although he doesn't state it, the OP is trying to blame a product for his inability to use it safely. Then others pile on with inflammatory statements. Common sense would tell you, like bja said, that if you're not comfortable using glass then don't. It would also tell you that it's fine to inform people of potential for danger, but it's not ok to make the decision for them. Common sense is not using emotionally charged statements to impose your way of thinking on others.

I agree 100% with everything you said with exception of me trying to blame a product for my inability yada yada yada. Come on now! I'm not placing blame at all, just changing equipment after losing a carboy. You become a shrink after reading WebMD.com or maybe you slept at a Holiday Inn last night, you're insight is amazing (that's sarcasm). I didn't intend to start the whole glass vs. plastic debate all over, I'm sure this has all been covered in triplicate. If anyone uses glass, good for you. Plastic? Ditto. Wanna debate over how you do things in your garage on your own time? Care meter at all time high (there's Mr. Sarcasm again)!

I agree 100% with everything you said with exception of me trying to blame a product for my inability yada yada yada. Come on now! I'm not placing blame at all, just changing equipment after losing a carboy. You become a shrink after reading WebMD.com or maybe you slept at a Holiday Inn last night, you're insight is amazing (that's sarcasm). I didn't intend to start the whole glass vs. plastic debate all over, I'm sure this has all been covered in triplicate. If anyone uses glass, good for you. Plastic? Ditto. Wanna debate over how you do things in your garage on your own time? Care meter at all time high (there's Mr. Sarcasm again)!

Crap, I just bit on a troll's fishing line didn't I?

I'm a little disappointed that this didn't somehow spiral downward into a gun control debate :mug:

Sorry about your batch, good to hear that it broke in a swamp cooler, could have been much worse, more painful and probably messier under different circumstances. Welcome to the dark (plastic) side. My lone 6.5g glass carboy has been collecting dust in the garage for years, probably will get rid of it.

I'm not placing blame at all . . .
If your title had been, "6 hours down the drain" and then you went into explaining your loss from there things would have been clearer, but you start right out with, "I'm done with glass carboys!" It has the appearance of placing blame, but you're right, I shouldn't have jumped to that. Sorry.

As others have said, sad for the beer loss and glad there was no blood involved. Do what you have to to see that it doesn't happen again.

Alert, Newbie question:

Why can't you use a 5gal sparklets bottle instead of a glass carboy? It must be food gradable since water is in them.

bja said:
Along that line of thinking, turkey fryers should be banned so people don't burn their house down. Cars should be banned so people don't crash them. Beer should be banned so people don't get drunk and post stupid things like arborman just did.

Wow, a little edgy there bro? Go have a homebrew and chill on calling people stupid. Look up the word accident in the dictionary.

I'm absolutely terrified every time I handle my carboy, thanks to the threads I see here on HBT. I need to find a milk crate or equivalent here. My beer and soda crates are just like milk crates, but partitioned for bottles. Maybe I should cut the partitions out of one of them for the carboy...

Chianti bottle carboys? Sounds amazing.

Alert, Newbie question:

Why can't you use a 5gal sparklets bottle instead of a glass carboy? It must be food gradable since water is in them.

Some people do. However, if you're doing primary fermenation in them, you probably want to stick to ~4 gallon batches and use a blowoff tube, since you'll need the headspace for krausen and whatnot. They'd be great for 5-gallon secondary fermentation; I've seen a couple threads from folks who are using them in both roles and it seems like a great idea to me. Makes me wish they did glass water jugs here in China so I could snag a couple on the cheap.

JustLooking said:
You're right. They should outlaw accidents. :smack:

Geez..... My comment went over your head again.... Well, can't fix stupid.

Carry on.. I'm done with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back