Well, I screwed up... What Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
I just finished cleaning my Plastic Primary Fermenter with DISH SOAP and then came to the forums on a hunch that I just screwed up.

I found thread after thread of "don't use dish soap!", so...,
Is it ruined? do I get another fermenter?

Jonas

i think the main point of those threads might be to imply that dish soap is no substitution for iodophor.
rinse thoroughly, and steralize before use

I have rinsed it 4 times with scalding water, and rinsed it thoroughly.
I can not detect any more smell or residue in or on the bucket.

Thanks, Guys! :mug:

P.S,

I'm a total noob, and what does rdwhahb mean?

I was cleaning out the residue from a mead out of my primary fermenter, will the fermenter always smell like straight alcohol?

I've been using regular dish soap to wash my buckets for a long time. I've never had an issue. Make sure you rinse it really well. I only use about 2 drops in a gallon of hot water and a nice soft sponge, but that's plenty to remove even the really nasty residue. Another thing, I keep 5 gal of starsan around, and at the beginning of brewday I dump that into my fermentation bucket and let it soak for the 4 hours or so I'm brewing. That might help remove the last of the soap smell. IDK, but it works great for me.

Back