Welch's Grape Juice Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCarter

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is John and I'm an home brewer enthusiast, I'm really new to this home brewing thing and have only used a couple kits in my day. Now I was wondering if I am able to make wine from Welch's grape juice. I read an article online that said your can make wine using Welch's Grape Juice, now I'm really curious to ask how would one create this drink.

I've used many different wine and champagne yeast but the article said I could use bakers yeast, sugar, and Welch's Grape Juice, sounds simple but is it? Thanks for reading and hopefully many of you home brewers could teach me how to make this.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388923031.826759.jpg

A variation:
One 3qt bottle WGJ, sanitize top, cover w/ tissue, as bottle expands when cap loosened, sucking in air, so leave unopened till ready. I use a 5 liter vessel left over from another life. Sanitize everything, then add juice, and some nutrient.. I fill headspace with nitrogen or carbon dioxide. CO2 is better, it's cheap and is 1/2 again as heavy as air. Add some appropriate yeast, dry or moistened. Let the fruit sugar ferment, add 1 can cran juice conc., made up to 1 liter(~quart), let it ferment, weigh out 270 grams sucrose into a clean container. Add sugar...sloooowwwly!!!... in fourths to minimize foaming during ferment.
Rack as you see fit, stand to drop all yeast, rack to 1 gal wine jug, stand in cool place, watch for yeast. I get my jugs from town recycling center, free. This recipe fills 'em up to the top, perfect for aging.You can drink any time, but if you let some age w/o yeast it will be much improved. I'm just now drinking a batch from last May.
Notice I don't add finings, acid, or enzymes(yet!). Nor Campden tablets, just be totally sanitary.
It's not bad, but rather acid. Experiment!

Wow that sounds absolutely delicious. Thank you for taking your time on writing that for me. I just got back from the local store, I bought a 10L water vessel, I bought %100 grape concentrate and a couple pound of sugar. I'm going to follow your steps and I'll report back to you when I can, once again thank you very much!

You can do it, as long as the juice is not loaded with preservatives, so it does not kill the yeast you add :)

I've made wine with welchs frozen concentrate and juice and it has always turned out great.... Kinda like Concord, but I usually use fruit wine yeast, seems to handle higher alcohol contents

Back