Welch's Grape Juice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Edit- note! You may want to skip the acid blend, at least at first, as some results say this wine is too "tart".

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

Hey Yoop, I noticed you were "drinking this now" in your sig; how;d it turn out?

It's good! It's not fine wine, that's for sure! But it's tasty and we use it for a table wine with dinner. Kind of has an unsweetened Mogen David taste.

I am new to wine making, why cover with a napkin and not an airlock from the start?

A couple of reasons- first of all, it's very foamy and ferments hard. If you used an airlock, it'd be plugged up right away. Secondly, for most wines, the yeast and fermentation NEED oxygen. I stir all of my wines in primary, until they reach about 1.010-1.020 and then put them in secondary and airlock.

Make sure you don't fill to the top during primary- it'll make a mess and grape juice stains hardwood flooring. (ask me how I know!). After it slows down, you can top up and airlock it.

Thanks, has been going for a few days now. I used welch's white grape juice with the same recipe, except I miss read the sugar and put in 1 1/2 instead of 1 1/4. I did not realize until I took a gravity reading and saw 1.118 and said wow what happened? This is going to be some strong stuff, unless the yeast chokes out. I used lalvin 71b-1122 I think it's good til about 14%.

racking day today @ 31 days and the expected happened. The wine is quite clear and the SG is 1.010 and OG was 1.118 making an ABV of 14.148%:drunk: The yeast choked out right @ Lalvin specs. ok I know my fault (too much sugar) I must learn how to follow instructions. But anyway, I tasted it and it is very sweet. Now is there anything I can do to fix this? or should I consider it a dessert wine?

I just started this recipe:

9 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
12 cups granulated sugar
8 tsp acid blend
4 tsp pectic enzyme
4 tsp yeast nutrient
.5 tsp wine tannin
water to make 4 gallons
wine yeast (71b-1122)

Greetings from lower Michigan, YooperBrew. I've been by the store twice and they have been out of stock for hydrometers both times.

I know, I was probably dumb to make so much. I just can't help myself.

racking day today @ 31 days and the expected happened. The wine is quite clear and the SG is 1.010 and OG was 1.118 making an ABV of 14.148%:drunk: The yeast choked out right @ Lalvin specs. ok I know my fault (too much sugar) I must learn how to follow instructions. But anyway, I tasted it and it is very sweet. Now is there anything I can do to fix this? or should I consider it a dessert wine?

You could pitch some champagne yeast- but that will increase the ABV even more while drying out the wine. It'll be pretty darn "hot" if you do that, but it won't be sweet any more.

The yeast might bring that SG down a few more points, though, without repitching, even though you're right at the top of the tolerance. If you could coax about 6 more gravity points out of that yeast, it'll be much less sweet tasting and not too hot.

Another option would be to dilute the wine some. That might allow the yeast to go back to work.

Still at this point my recommendation would be to let it age then bottle it and enjoy your desert wine.

Craig

You could pitch some champagne yeast- but that will increase the ABV even more while drying out the wine. It'll be pretty darn "hot" if you do that, but it won't be sweet any more.

The yeast might bring that SG down a few more points, though, without repitching, even though you're right at the top of the tolerance. If you could coax about 6 more gravity points out of that yeast, it'll be much less sweet tasting and not too hot.

Well I'll let it sit as is for a while and see what happens as it clears fully. there is still bubbles rising in 1 or 2 spots. (maybe outgassing after transfer) only time will tell. I am going to start a fresh batch The right way. Thanks again
what kind of yeast do you use? I am going to use Lalvin EC-1118 this time.

edit: by the way can this recipe be adapted to use regular welch's not frozen? I was thinking of just using 96oz of juice and topping with water to a gallon, being that 2 cans of frozen concentrate make 96oz.

Do you have to cork this?

Mike

Well, if you're using wine bottles, it is good to cork them otherwise I don't know how you'd seal them. I did some in wine bottles, some in Grolsch (ez cap style) bottles, and a few in beer bottles for a smaller serving size.

Well I'll let it sit as is for a while and see what happens as it clears fully. there is still bubbles rising in 1 or 2 spots. (maybe outgassing after transfer) only time will tell. I am going to start a fresh batch The right way. Thanks again
what kind of yeast do you use? I am going to use Lalvin EC-1118 this time.

edit: by the way can this recipe be adapted to use regular welch's not frozen? I was thinking of just using 96oz of juice and topping with water to a gallon, being that 2 cans of frozen concentrate make 96oz.

I don't see why not- I mean, it's the same thing, right? Unless the regular welch's has sorbate. That would stop the juice from fermenting. I don't remember now what kind of yeast I used for sure- probably a mix of different kinds over the years. I do know I used the EC-1118 at least once, and I probably used cotes des blanc at one time or another in it. The concord flavor is pretty strong, so I don't think the yeast matters all that much.

I don't see why not- I mean, it's the same thing, right? Unless the regular welch's has sorbate. That would stop the juice from fermenting. I don't remember now what kind of yeast I used for sure- probably a mix of different kinds over the years. I do know I used the EC-1118 at least once, and I probably used cotes des blanc at one time or another in it. The concord flavor is pretty strong, so I don't think the yeast matters all that much.

I don't think there were any preservatives, So I'll try it.

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast

Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

You say pour into secondary? what do you use to make this in and also what does stabilizing after 30 days mean?

I use a Carlo Rossi (4L size) jug for it. When you fit the airlock on it, it takes a #6 size bung. Those are easy to find in any brew shop.

Stabilize means to ensure fermentation doesn't restart if you add some sugar to sweeten. To do that, you add one crushed campden tablet per gallon (dissolved in a little hot water), and some potassium sorbate. I think it's about 2/3 tsp for 5 gallons, but please check the package to make sure whatever brand of sorbate you buy has the correct amount on it. Overdosing with sorbate can make the wine taste bad.

What you do is add the sorbate/campden to a new carboy (or jug, if you're only making one gallon) when the wine is completely done fermenting. Rack the wine into it gently, so it doesn't splash. Then, wait a few days. After a couple of days, you can sweeten to taste with some sugar. I like to pull out a sample, and add some sugar dissolved in a little water, and add that syrup to taste. When I like that sample, I take the SG of the sample and then sweeten the whole batch close to that SG. It's best to slightly undersweeten- I swear that it's a little sweeter after sitting for a few weeks. So, if I like the wine at 1.010 for example, I'll sweeten it to 1.008.

I use a Carlo Rossi (4L size) jug for it. When you fit the airlock on it, it takes a #6 size bung. Those are easy to find in any brew shop.

Stabilize means to ensure fermentation doesn't restart if you add some sugar to sweeten. To do that, you add one crushed campden tablet per gallon (dissolved in a little hot water), and some potassium sorbate. I think it's about 2/3 tsp for 5 gallons, but please check the package to make sure whatever brand of sorbate you buy has the correct amount on it. Overdosing with sorbate can make the wine taste bad.

What you do is add the sorbate/campden to a new carboy (or jug, if you're only making one gallon) when the wine is completely done fermenting. Rack the wine into it gently, so it doesn't splash. Then, wait a few days. After a couple of days, you can sweeten to taste with some sugar. I like to pull out a sample, and add some sugar dissolved in a little water, and add that syrup to taste. When I like that sample, I take the SG of the sample and then sweeten the whole batch close to that SG. It's best to slightly undersweeten- I swear that it's a little sweeter after sitting for a few weeks. So, if I like the wine at 1.010 for example, I'll sweeten it to 1.008.

I am gonna order the stuff to make this to, but so i guess i need 3 carlo rossi jugs right? one for primary one for secondary and one for stabilizing? and also how many months is it from primary to drinking this?

I am gonna order the stuff to make this to, but so i guess i need 3 carlo rossi jugs right? one for primary one for secondary and one for stabilizing? and also how many months is it from primary to drinking this?

You could get by with two. You ferment in one, then rack to the other one. It can be done in as little as six weeks to two months.

cool prolly gonna get this yeast K1-V1116 Montpellier. A vigorous and competitive fermenter that, because of it's neutral effect on varietal character, is very well suited to fruit wines as well as wines to be made from grapes. Grapes and fresh fruit. 59-86° F (15-30°

and also one last thing all i have is beer bottles can i just bottle in those?

Edit: just read back and answered my own question

Hey Yooper, love the recipe and want to try it soon. When you say top up or off, what are you using to do this? More grape juice or water? Hope all is well!

Hey Yooper, love the recipe and want to try it soon. When you say top up or off, what are you using to do this? More grape juice or water? Hope all is well!

You can top up with water- that's built into the recipe. As long as you're only topping off to a gallon, you're all set.

I am making the Welch Grape Froze Concentrate...I want to make five gallons. So my question is (because I am New to this) is does 1 packet work for 1 gallon and gallons? Or do I need to add more yeast since I am bumping up the recipe in other ingredients ?:confused:

I am making the Welch Grape Froze Concentrate...I want to make five gallons. So my question is (because I am New to this) is does 1 packet work for 1 gallon and gallons? Or do I need to add more yeast since I am bumping up the recipe in other ingredients ?:confused:

No, one package of yeast is good for up to 6 gallons of wine, so you're all set.

because I am starting out, I wanted to use the Hydrometer for this recipe. (now I wonder if that was a and/ confusing idea)

before yeast:

1.080 Specific Gravity
11 percent P. Alcohol
20 percent sugar

on the paper I have it says for Sweet wine it says "starting gravity" should e 1.140 ad up 2 pts

I do ot like dry wine so I added more sugar (ending up using 2 1/2 lbs more sugar and my reading for SP only went to 1.105

I am frustrated ad my gut says to stop adding sugar so I added the yeast packet.

I'm thinking maybe I will not get the hang of this and I haven't even begun doing acid tests :( <sigh>

thoughts?

because I am starting out, I wanted to use the Hydrometer for this recipe. (now I wonder if that was a and/ confusing idea)

before yeast:

1.080 Specific Gravity
11 percent P. Alcohol
20 percent sugar

on the paper I have it says for Sweet wine it says "starting gravity" should e 1.140 ad up 2 pts

I do ot like dry wine so I added more sugar (ending up using 2 1/2 lbs more sugar and my reading for SP only went to 1.105

I am frustrated ad my gut says to stop adding sugar so I added the yeast packet.

I'm thinking maybe I will not get the hang of this and I haven't even begun doing acid tests :( <sigh>

thoughts?

Well, your paper is correct, in a way. If you add so much sugar that you overpower the yeast, you will have a sweet wine when it's finished. You'll have something like 18% abv, though, so it'll be sweet rocket fuel.

It's easiest to make the recipe as written, and wait for it to finish at a drinkable 12-13% or so. Then, stabilize using sorbate and campden tablets, and add sugar or honey or any other sweetener to taste.

hey yooper, if i don't feel like bottling this can i just rack into another rossi jug and stick it in the fridge?

ok I finally have the finished product as per the recipe. I didn't sweeten it at all. It has a very strong concord grape aroma and flavor but it is very sour or should I say tart. Should I add less acid blend next time? will that make it less tart? or will aging make it less tart? Also Yooper I see that you were explaining how to sweeten. do you sweeten yours? how much sugar do you end up adding per gallon? Do you add dextrose or sucrose? Sorry about all the questions. Thanks again

ok I finally have the finished product as per the recipe. I didn't sweeten it at all. It has a very strong concord grape aroma and flavor but it is very sour or should I say tart. Should I add less acid blend next time? will that make it less tart? or will aging make it less tart? Also Yooper I see that you were explaining how to sweeten. do you sweeten yours? how much sugar do you end up adding per gallon? Do you add dextrose or sucrose? Sorry about all the questions. Thanks again

I don't sweeten mine- I like it dry as a table wine. You could add less acid blend (or even none), but I think it's the concord grape flavor that gives it the tartness, or that certain Welch's "tang".

I don't sweeten mine- I like it dry as a table wine. You could add less acid blend (or even none), but I think it's the concord grape flavor that gives it the tartness, or that certain Welch's "tang".

OK thanks so I didn't mess it up. I'll experiment with it.

I just found a bottle the other day of this stuff that I made back in September 07
Report needed when you finally pop it open. I have 5 bottles I am going to age. I'll pop one open every few months.

Some of the grape juices that I've found in my local frozen food isle have ascorbic acid (vit c) added to 'em. Will the increased acidity prevent them from fermenting?

It's a very small amount that's added mainly as a preservative. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it in anything.

Back