weizenbock recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riter_Odinson

Reaction score
I've been wanting to make a weizenbock for awhile and heres a recipe i kinda threw together after looking around at recipes online:

7 lbs wheat DME
2 lbs Wheat malt german dark wheat
1 lb munich
.5 lb Crystal malt 70-80 L
1 oz german tratition hop pellets

I'd use hallertau hops but the shop near me is out and tradition seems to be the closest in stock replacement. Any suggestions?

Riter_Odinson said:
I've been wanting to make a weizenbock for awhile and heres a recipe i kinda threw together after looking around at recipes online:

7 lbs wheat DME
2 lbs Wheat malt german dark wheat
1 lb munich
.5 lb Crystal malt 70-80 L
1 oz german tratition hop pellets

I'd use hallertau hops but the shop near me is out and tradition seems to be the closest in stock replacement. Any suggestions?

Are they out of ALL Hallertau? you can use whole or leaf if they have those.

That sounds WAY light on the hops for a big beer. It'll be VERY sweet.

you could try this, 1 oz. Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 15 min.)

checking online they (northern brewer) appear to indeed be completely out of hallertau. Weizens don't tend to have a lot of hops, using the calculator thing the IBU was pretty in the middle for the style. Maybe I should add more, this is my first attempt at making a recipe. Before now I've only done kits.

Here Are a Couple more,0.8 oz. Ultra (3.8% AA, 60 min.)
1.0 oz. Ultra (3.8% AA, 30 min.)
.2 oz. Ultra (3.8% AA, 3 min.)

1 oz. Cascade (5.7% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (5.7% AA, 15 min.)

0.50 oz. Amarillo (8.5% AA, 60 min.)
0.50 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 20 min.)

If that dont help Im outa options

not really seeing those options on the site, based on what I see in stock would this work?:
.5 oz Brewer's Gold: (8.5% AA, 60 min)
.5 oz Tradition (5% AA, 45 min)
.5 oz Tradition (5% AA, 15 min)

and does the malt look good?

Riter_Odinson said:
not really seeing those options on the site, based on what I see in stock would this work?:
.5 oz Brewer's Gold: (8.5% AA, 60 min)
.5 oz Tradition (5% AA, 45 min)
.5 oz Tradition (5% AA, 15 min)

and does the malt look good?

With all that malt it is going to be a big beer The hops you have probably will work but it still Might be sweet, Hopefully one of the pros on here will check the thread and give you a better idea of what you got.

Did a similar Weizenbock on December 16th. The plan was to use Tettnang, but like you found them unavailable at my LHBS. Ended up doing ¾ oz Perle at start, ½ oz Saphir at 30 min and ½ Saphir at 5 minutes to go. LHBS recommended the Saphir. I’d never used it before. Hydrometer sample a couple of days ago tasted pretty good. May be a little sweet, but that may change. BeerSmith gave a full oz of Perle at the start a bit more bittering then I wanted, but only time will tell.

Let us know what you end up with and how it turns out.

I didn't get a chance to hit my LHBS today and i'm busy tomorrow. I'll have to pick up the ingrediants and probably cook it up on sunday. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Went to my LHBS today and apparently they do have saaz in stock so I picked up 3 oz. Any suggestions on how to hop to use them?

so I finally had acouple bottles of this recently and it turned out fantastic, possibly the best I've made yet, though I do tend to think that about most beers I make. I used the 3 oz of Saaz with around 2.5 oz for 60 min and .5 oz for 45 min. The yeast I used was Wyeast Weihenstephaner.

What was your boil volume? Weizenbock should be 15-30 IBU. I didn't run your recipe, but it looks like your hop schedule would be way over that.

But if it tastes good . . . . . .:mug:

2.5 gallons when I put it in the calculator it said the IBUs were fine. They were fairly low AA Saaz hops too, around 2.2% I believe. Anyway it tastes great, not noticeably hoppy at all.

Back