Weizenbock: caramel wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertjohnson

Reaction score
I got the BCS recipe and went to my brew store. Unable to find "dark wheat," which has no specified lovibond rating in the book, I just grabbed the caramel wheat malt 23-30L that was available. The recipe was almost definitely referring to Weyermann's dark wheat 7.5L. So...I'd still like to brew a weizenbock with this malt but I have no experience in brewing the style. I'd guess I can't use this in the over 50% range that BCS calls for. I'm guessing I'd use some combination of light wheat, continental pils, caramel wheat, munich and specialty grains (special b and caramel 40) but I have NO idea in what proportions. Any help/suggestions?

I just made a dunkleweizen last weekend with pil, dark wheat, and caramel wheat.

my caramel wheat proportion is only 12%. Beersmith indicates the maximum percenatge is 15%. I think this malt has been caramelized so it won't ferment out; thus, high % will yield a very sweet beer.

I would add some german crystal (carafa) to get the coloring. If you can get roasted wheat (425 SRM), that'll be even better.

I got the BCS recipe and went to my brew store. Unable to find "dark wheat," which has no specified lovibond rating in the book, I just grabbed the caramel wheat malt 23-30L that was available. The recipe was almost definitely referring to Weyermann's dark wheat 7.5L. So...I'd still like to brew a weizenbock with this malt but I have no experience in brewing the style. I'd guess I can't use this in the over 50% range that BCS calls for. I'm guessing I'd use some combination of light wheat, continental pils, caramel wheat, munich and specialty grains (special b and caramel 40) but I have NO idea in what proportions. Any help/suggestions?

I recently brewed up a nice PM Weisenbock:

4.00lbs White Wheat
2.00lbs Cara Munich II
0.50lbs Caramel Wheat
0.50lbs Chocolate Wheat
1.00lbs Rahr 2-row
0.50lbs Flaked Wheat

2.00lbs Wheat DME
1.50lbs Dark DME
1.00lbs Corn Sugar

Double Step Mash, 150*F for 30min, 154*F for 30min
Batch sparge twice, half of the water each