Weizen Wheat Partial Mash Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitnes10

Reaction score
Looking for some input on this recipe I just came up with. I'm new with Partial Mash (this will be my 2nd attempt), but have been making extract for years.

Any thoughts or input would be great. THANKS!

American Wheat
Partial Mash (5gal) ABV: 5.89%
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
IBU: 14.5 Colour: 7.5 SRM

Ingredients:
Mash:
0.80kg Maris Otter
0.70kg Wheat Malt
0.25kg Honey Malt
Boil 45mins:
15g Hallertauer (45mins)
10g East Kent Gouldings (45mins)
13g East Kent Gouldings (30mins)
2kg Wheat Extract (last 15 mins of boil)
Whirlfoc Tablet (15mins)
1pkg Weihenstephan Weizen yeast

Not sure if you meant to title it American wheat or not, that is a German yeast and will give off the characteristic banana and clove. For an Am wheat style you'll want something more neutral like 1010 or even US-05. The other thing I would question is the choice of Maris otter, are you just trying to use it up? Pilsner or Am 2-row would be more traditional for German/American wheat respectively, though if you're not trying to brew to style you can obviously ignore that.
:mug:

Not sure if you meant to title it American wheat or not, that is a German yeast and will give off the characteristic banana and clove. For an Am wheat style you'll want something more neutral like 1010 or even US-05. The other thing I would question is the choice of Maris otter, are you just trying to use it up? Pilsner or Am 2-row would be more traditional for German/American wheat respectively, though if you're not trying to brew to style you can obviously ignore that.
:mug:

Yeah thanks, I actually got similar recomendations from another site too. My new recipe calls for the following.
.8kg Wheat Malt
.25kg Honey Malt
1kg Pilsner 2row
23g EKG at 45mins
20g EKG at 20mins
2kg Wheat Dry Extract at 15mins
Whirlfloc tablet at 15mins
12g EKG at 0mins
Safabrew Wheat WB-06 Yeast

Sound better?

Looks good to me. Still a German yeast though, so I assume that's what you're after.

That's weird about the Yeast because the other forum site I'm on, the person suggested and noted that the yeast will be the "big Show":

3068 for German
US-06 for American

*** Now I'm doing some reading and it seems as though the US-06 will give off clove flavour. That's not what I'm looking for. So maybe I'll go out and grab a pack of US-05 (used it for most of my IPA's).

That's weird about the Yeast because the other forum site I'm on, the person suggested and noted that the yeast will be the "big Show"

Exactly - meaning Germen hefeweizens are all about the yeast, contributing a lot of character like banana/clove. If you want a neutral American style what then go US-05.

Edit: might be a typo on the other site - there's no US-06, it's WB-06 (German) or US-05.

If you'd like an American-style wheat beer and White Labs liquid yeast is available to you, I'd recommend using WLP 001 California Ale Yeast.
If you'd like the American Hefeweizen that flocculates less, consider WLP 320 ... I have a nice batch of that going now.

Both yeasts have different attributes but don't give off the character phenols of clove and banana you'll find in the German strains.
US-05 flocculates well and using a Whirlfloc tab will enhance clarification, especially if you ferment just below 68F (20C) temperature range.

Awesome thanks guys! I do have access to White Labs yeast, a different local retailer sells it. I'll check to see if they have it in stock.

Brewing this weekend so it'll either be US-05 or the White Labs.

And yeah my bad on the US-06, I meant WB-06.

Thanks again all! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back