weissbeer recipies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHammer16

Reaction score
I had a great beer in munich at the Wiessbrauhauss. It was their weiss beer. I drank about 3 litres that night. Does anyone have a recipie for weiss beer. What makes a beer a white beer?

Clone Brews has a Paulaner Hefe-Weizen clone...to my untrained palate Paulaner and Schneider are very similar. I'll post it if you haven't already found it somewhere else.

AHammer16 said:
I think it was Schneider Weisse. Any body know of a clone?

ooo... schneider makes some REAL good beers. On a separate note, if anyone has the chance, I HIGHLY recommend Schneider Aventinus.

http://ratebeer.com/Beer/schneider-aventinus/2224/

Ratebeer.com said:
Commercial Description:
Dark ruby, glistening mysteriously, streaked with fine, top-fermented yeast, this beer has a compact, stable and long-lasting head. It has an intensive, typically top-fermented clove-like aroma. The palate experiences a gentle touch, on the tongue it is very full-bodied, compact and yet fresh with a hint of caramel. It finishes with a light and delicate taste of bitters leaving behind a strong, smoothly rounded, sour impression.

homebrewer_99 said:
I've had them all. I lived 40 miles from Munich for 4 years.

I used to drive to the Hofbrauhaus after work just for a beer and the atmosphere! :D

I am thinking of moving there for a year or so... Figure I might as well try something new before I have REAL responsibilities.

homebrewer_99 said:
Where? Munich?

Most likely. I just graduated from college back in December. I figure I will stay at my current job for sometime, and before I decide to settle down with my girlfriend, we thought it would be great to move to Germany and travel around Europe for a year or so.

I took several years of German courses and would love to go. (Although, honestly, my motivation for going is to attend a brew school.)

AHammer16 said:
I think it was Schneider Weisse. Any body know of a clone?

This made me curious, since I'll be doing another wheat in the fall. I've never had a Schneider Weisse before. I'm going to try and see if I can pick up some this week.

Out of curiosity, I found this recipe online in Homebrew Digest #4055 (October 01, 2002), provided by a Mark Hogenmiller:

Schneider Wiesen Edel Weisse Clone
by Mark Hogenmiller
Style: 19b Weizen/Weissbier

Min Recipe Max
O.G. 1.046 1.051 1.056
T.G. 1.008 1.013 1.016
Alc % 4.9 5.0 5.5
I.B.U. 10 14.6 15
S.R.M. 3 3.4 9

Ingredients for 5.5 gallons:
6.5 lbs German Wheat Malt (MASH)
3.5 lbs German Pilsner 2-row (MASH)
0.5 oz Northern Brewer 7% BOIL 60 minutes
1 oz Cascade 5% FINISHING 20 minutes
Yeast: Culture from Schneider Weizen Bottle
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Mashing Procedure:
Mash Efficiency: 75%
Add 3.13 gallons of water at 133 to heat mash to 122
Add 1.91 gallons of boiling water to heat mash to 152

Notes:
Use a two-step infusion mash at 122 degrees F
for 20 minutes for protein rest. Add required amount
of boiling water to raise to 152 degrees F. Hold for
45 minutes or until starch converts. Mash out at 170
degrees F. Hold for 5 Minutes. Sparge with 170
degrees F water until 6.5 gallons of wort have
collected. After boiling and cooling adjust volume of
wort in Primary Fermenter to 5.5 gallons with
distilled water if necessary.

Ferment at 68 degrees F. Rack from primary
fermenter two to four days after primary fermentation
activity has stopped and yeast settles to bottling
bucket. Secondary fermentation in the bottle for
seven days at 68 degree F. Cold Maturation at 50
degrees F for 21 days.

Shmohel said:
Most likely. I just graduated from college back in December. I figure I will stay at my current job for sometime, and before I decide to settle down with my girlfriend, we thought it would be great to move to Germany and travel around Europe for a year or so.

I took several years of German courses and would love to go. (Although, honestly, my motivation for going is to attend a brew school.)

Sounds like a great time! I was in my early 20's when I was there. :D

Julius Echter is a good Weizen, as well as a Tucher.

My favorite would have to be a Bamberger Weisse made by the Maisel Brothers (from the Bamberg brewery, not the original in Bayreuth).

It has a great flavor though a bit on the sweet side.

homebrewer_99 said:
Just remember the bottling yeast is different from the brewing yeast. :D

Yeah, good point. I have read rumors on the Internet that Schneider uses their primary yeast for bottle conditioning. I think I'd use White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale or WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale yeast for my primary and then the cultured yeast for bottling.

Rhoobarb said:
Yeah, good point. I have read rumors on the Internet that Schneider uses their primary yeast for bottle conditioning. I think I'd use White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale or WLP380 Hefeweizen IV Ale yeast for my primary and then the cultured yeast for bottling.

If that's the case then you should be alright.

I used to use a Yeast Lab HW yeast #W51, but they are no longer in business.

Incidently, they sold their yeast to White Labs, but they don't list this yeast in their brochures.

Here's the blurb from their web site:

"Bavarian Weizen Ale* Available July/August
(WLP351) Former Yeast Lab W51 yeast strain, acquired from Dan McConnell. The description originally used by Yeast lab still fits: " This strain produces a classic German-style wheat beer, with moderately high, spicy phenolic overtones reminiscent of cloves." Attenuation: 73-77; Flocculation: Low; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 66-70"

They sell it at their website (shipping was EXPENSIVE!!!), but I found it cheaper at Midwestsupplies. I was ordering several hundreds of $$$ of other supplies anyway so I got it from them.

NOTE: It is only available in Jul and Aug.

I'm preparing to start a hefeweizen in the morning. My recipe is similar to the Schneider Weisse (which is an excellent beer).
7lbs Weyermann wheat malt
3 lbs 2-row Pils
1 lb torrified wheat (as if it weren't going to have enough head)
1 oz Hallertau Hops (whole leaf)
Decoction mash obviously the best for this.
1/2 oz hops up front for 45 minutes,
1/2 oz hops last 10-15 minutes.

If anyone has any suggestions before I embark on this, let me know!

Biermann said:
If anyone has any suggestions before I embark on this, let me know!
I haven't seen a clone for S-W, but I did have one tonight. It's fairly dark compared to most hefe's, which is to say amber-ish...are you sure you'll get the maltiness and color from just wheat malt and 2-row? I was assuming they had a touch of CaraMunich, plain Munich, or some such in it, but perhaps the decoction will cover that. Pretty brave mashing more than 70% wheat!

Yeah, the thought was to push the wheat bill to the max. I admit it's balsy to mash that much wheat. I also considered taking a pound of wheat away and throwing a pound of munich in. I haven't completely made up my mind on this, and like I said, I'm in no hurry, and am open for suggestions. Thanks!!

So, if I were to add some Munich or cara-Munich, how much do you think I should add to get that amber-ish hue and maltiness of the SW? When I devised this recipe, I was actually going more for a weihenstephaner-type weiss, and basing it off of several other recipes. After reading here about the SW, I have to say my craving may have changed somewhat :) Hefe-weizen is one of my favorites, and I want to produce the closest to the real bavarian type as possible.

I would drop the torrefied wheat since it's not really contributing anything and make maybe 10% of the grist Munich and 7.5% CaraMunich40. Bear in mind I'm really just pulling numbers out of my hip pocket, but I think that will get pretty close to the color of S-W. Note that a decoction would be traditional, as you mention. If you wanted to just do a straight infusion you could consider replacing the CaraMunich with some melanoidin malt. Again, just pulling stuff out of my a$$!

Hey, I appreciate the input. I was looking for a good head retention on this beer, and someone suggested the torrified wheat. If you think it will have a good head without it, perhaps I will drop it and sub something.

If you are going for an authentic German Hefe Weisse, drop the unmalted wheat, German brewers are only allowed to use malted grains for their beers.

Kai

Biermann said:
Hey, I appreciate the input. I was looking for a good head retention on this beer, and someone suggested the torrified wheat. If you think it will have a good head without it, perhaps I will drop it and sub something.
I like authenticity (to an extent!), so I would drop the torrefied wheat as the Kaiser suggests. Your grist is already chock full of proteins, so as long as you follow good procedures you will have as much head as you want (and don't we all love that).

Coincidentally, there is an awesome article on head building/rentention in this month's BYO...try to grab a copy if you can, or perhaps the article will be on their webpage. The basic gist is that 'head building' adjuncts aren't really necessary, and that there are other measures you can take which are much more effective at ensuring good head.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I like authenticity (to an extent!)
Coincidentally, there is an awesome article on head building/rentention in this month's BYO...try to grab a copy if you can

I will look it up. I would like this beer to be as authentic as possible. Good point Kaiser. The Rheinheitsgebot doesn't exactly allow for torrified wheat.

Obviously, I haven't made this yet (getting good advice here). What do you all think about the hops (too little, too much, wrong type, etc)? This is supposed to be a Bavarian Hefe-weizen. I definately do not want it too bitter, or to aromatic.

Atkinson here...near Geneseo...off of I-80, exit 27...

I looked at my recipes. I use Hallertau whole hops 3.5%AA:

1.1 oz at boil (60 min boil)
.55 oz 40 minutes later
.55 oz 10 mins after that
Boil another 10.:D

That's for 6 lbs of DME.

I've got hallertau hersbrucker 4.8% AA on the bill. I've never done a hefe before, and I wasn't sure the exact amount to use. My recipe called for one ounce total. Good to see another Illinoisan in here.

Biermann said:
I've got hallertau hersbrucker 4.8% AA on the bill. I've never done a hefe before, and I wasn't sure the exact amount to use. My recipe called for one ounce total. Good to see another Illinoisan in here.
What is your OG? 1oz will probably be too much for a 1050-1054 hefeweizen @ 4.8%. I say this because I recently did it. Use one of the online calculators to get ~12IBU which will likely be ~.75oz or so.

Since I used whole hops you're suppose to up the recipe by 10% more when compared to pellets.

I upped the recipe by .1 oz for each addition. That's how I got the 1.1 oz measurement.:D

Your measurement (for pellets) should be 1 oz then.

I brewed my hefeweizen today. I ended up using:

6.5 lbs weyermann wheat malt
3.5 lbs of Durst Pilsen
0.75 oz of hallertau hersbrucker hops (4.75% AA).

Weihenstephan 3068 Wyeast yeast.

I ended up with a little bit less volume (4.25 Gallons)--so I added about 0.75 gallons of water.

O.G. 1.048 after dilution

Efficiency was a bit less than I wanted, but I don't want a strongly alcoholic brew anyway.

I'm planning on bottling with wheat DME.

Any suggestions on fermentation of this or bottling would be appreciated. (Like, do I rack to secondary or not??). This is my first all grain hefeweizen.

I'll let you all know how it turns out!

I also developed a label for this which I'm finalizing--will post later.

Thanks!:D

Oh, I got too impatient to go through with a decoction mash--did a 2 step infusion mash instead--probably one reason my efficiency sucked. My sparge almost got stuck too, and had to restart my lauter.

Biermann said:
Any suggestions on fermentation of this or bottling would be appreciated. (Like, do I rack to secondary or not??). This is my first all grain hefeweizen.
Keep it in the mid 60's if you can, unless you're really fond of banana juice, and of course use a secondary...a hefe in particular can develop a lot of off flavors that will mellow out or dissappear while it's aging in the secondary.

Biermann said:

I'd put it in a secondary for about one week.

Kai

Looks like a great recipe. 65% wheat malt is quite a lot, which probably resulted in your stuck mash, but it sounds like you worked through it. I haven't done many hefes, but I have secondaried the ones I've done. It's a beer designed to be enjoyed young and fresh (sounds so dirty), so a week or two in the secondary is probably adequate, then bottle and enjoy at full carbonation!

El Pistolero said:
Mmmmm....cheerleader beer. We will enjoy her. :D

I think you all are lusting after my beer (which is still in the fetal stage). :)

Thanks again for the advice. I'll definately rack it. I also ferment all my beers in my bar (in the basement), which runs about 65 degrees. I was also cautious, and placed a blow off tube on this one--(too many stories about krauesen blown airlocks). Another thing--I was absolutely amazed at the excessive amount of hot break/trub from this beer.

Back