Weird white stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaughnessy

Reaction score
Rewind my first double ipa. Fermentation was crazy. Lasted about 10 days. Now that I have moved it to the secondary for dry hopping there appears to be this

image-993028606.jpg

Weird droopy white mucus stuff floating on top. It does sink to the bottom though.
The beer still tastes fantastic but I'm worried about this new presence. Can someone please tell me what I'm dealing with, if anything.

Everyone should ferment in a clear vessel at least once just to watch the madness.

View attachment 49449

definitely agree! :mug: i mainly ferment in glass, and it's quite a show. i did a Pliny clone the other day, and after pitching, the break material began clumping and dropping, as it dropped at different rates the middle cleared.... my brother said it looked like the planet Jupiter. :rockin:

If my first beer looked like either of those two I would be running to the forums as well. Wow that is a lot of yeasty stuff.

Looks like you're making a Black n Tan all in one fermentor.

+1 to that... I was just like "how is he brewing a black and tan..."

Both of those pics are pretty sick, you DEF need to watch a fermentation, its seriously awesome every time. My Belgian Pale I just finished up fermented like mad for the 1st 2 days, it looked like there was hurricane in there

Back