Weird white powder in CO2 line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronan Turner

Reaction score

Hi Guys!
On the latest brew I got a fresh CO2 tank and when I was purging my keg i noticed some white powdery fluff coming out of my regulator, through my co2 line and into my keg. I'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this? I thought it may be Ice as it seemed to "dissolve" but I've noticed it doesn't leave any drops behind? I tried to purge as much as I could and then attached to the now filled keg but it appears some of this material has entered into my brew! My regulator did freeze up when I was purging (ice ice ice ice cold, freezing when air touched it).

Could this be frozen polymer or something coming from the line?

Does co2 freeze like this at all?(never saw this on my previous co2 canister)

Looking for any help here! Sorry I have been unable to get a decent photo of this stuff as its inside the line and tends to disappear quite quick!

On a final note, I had a seltzer connected up prior to this and foolishly there was a little back flow that I think went all the way to the regulator. But after considerable purging I would have thought this would have been expelled?

If you managed to spray bits of solid CO2 it would sublimate into vaporous gas form, not turn to liquid. Classic example is chunks of solid CO2 sold as "dry ice".
Seems unlikely though. What kind of beer line are you using, and what kind of cleaners/sanitizers do you use on it?

Cheers!

My WAG would be that it's plain old water ice. Maybe you somehow got some condensation in the line and then the CO2 froze it. But like I said, that's just a WAG.

Back