Weird problem...help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBadBrian

Reaction score
Hey,

Brewed my first extract wheat yesterday, saw signs of fermentation just this afternoon (no action at all this morning) BUT there is something really weird...

Just under the normal foam there is a thick sludge looking stuff hanging from the foam and floating in a large mass beneath it!

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Is my beer ruined?

-Brian

It's called Krausen, it is normal.....Now relax, take a deep breath and step away from the fermeter for a week...The beer is fine, and the yeasts know what they're doing, they don't need you hovering over and worrying about them....They've been making beer for several thousands of years...

You're beer is fine, you aren't...you have "n00bitus." :D

GO read the stickies in the beginner forum, especially the stone cold locked one...if you had read that first you never would have worried...And if you haven't yet, read howtobrew.com

:mug:

Welcome to HBT!

Well, I suppose this is the first time I've used a carboy instead of a bucket for the primary...

Still don't think it looks all that healthy but oh well - I put my faith in your response! :) I'll leave it be and see what happens!

Thanks for the quick response!

-Brian

Well, I suppose this is the first time I've used a carboy instead of a bucket for the primary...
-Brian

Yep, you pretty much confirmed it :D...fermentation's mighty different and ugly looking when you're looking at it dead on in a carboy, as opposed to top down in a bucket.

Besides it is highly unlikely that an infection would grow that large in a day...they don't just "bloom" like a krausen seems to...

And like we say around here...unless someone craps in your fermenter it's is unlikely your beer is infected.

RDWHAHB!

welcome BBB, listen to the rev, he knows!, HE KNOWS!!! glass is awesome. its great to see what's happening. did you do a starter?, if not, do your homework, build your own spinplate and buy a foam stopper!( it goes in the top of the flask) just let it happen AND BE PATIENT. everything you need is here. incl., the beer babes(look for reds thread!)

Still don't think it looks all that healthy but oh well - I put my faith in your response! :) I'll leave it be and see what happens!

Thanks for the quick response!

-Brian

One of my first few brews was an extract saison and the krausen looked really weird, different than others and ofcourse I was worried and thought I had ruined a batch. I racked it to the keg and it tasted great a week later.

That being said, don't be scared by smell either. I dumped a 5 gallon batch early on because it smelled bad at bottling time. Not obnoxious, just bad. Next time, I said what the hey. I bottled it anyhow. It turned out great.

Back