Scum on top, never seen this before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowleyMonster

Reaction score
So, my last batch I just transferred to keg yesterday. There was a strange very thin broken scum layer floating on top that was different from anything I have seen, with tiny white clumps. Sort of oily looking. Beer smells okay, slightly fruity and wine-y. No objectionable taste. I proceeded with the transfer. I have made a few batches like this so far, consisting of 10lb Viking pale 2-row, 1lb 350 chocolate, 42oz quick oats, 24oz quick grits, 150f 1 hour mash. When there are little leftovers of this or that fermentable, I add them. I usually re-use yeast and this one had made three batches, originally Fermentis SafeAle BE-134. The trub got really deep on this batch and was up to the level of the spigot, so after 10 days I racked into a second fermenter for settling and finishing. I know, that can be a mistake, but I like to use the spigot instead of a racking wand and siphon. ANd one more thing... just because why not, I threw in a box of cream of wheat into the mash. I am wondering if that could be responsible for the scum formation. I think there is some wheat germ in there.

I went ahead and brewed another batch yesterday, just the base recipe with no cream of wheat or other weird stuff in it, but instead of harvesting yeast from the questionable batch I rehydrated and pitched an envelope of Voss Kviek, which has worked nicely for me in the past, with my room temperature ferments.

Attached is the pic, looking through the side of the BMB. Ruined? Or not? Give it some gas and some time in the fridge, and see?

scum.jpg

In my little experience, that looks like a pelicle. If it was, it will often your fail personal organoleptic tests. You're this far along, I'd probably keg and carb it.

In my little experience, that looks like a pelicle. If it was, it will often your fail personal organoleptic tests. You're this far along, I'd probably keg and carb it.

Thanks. It's in a keg already, transferred it last night. I have to make room for it in the fridge... I have a keg I want to give another shot of CO2 before I take it out, then I will hook this one up.

I have only been brewing a couple of years now and I don't hang out with any other homebrewers, so scuse my noob question, but what is a pelicle? Harmless, I assume?

By the way, i transferred using the spigot, and stopped when the level was almost down to it, so I didn't get any of it into the keg. I didn't taste the pellicle, if that is what it is. I have never enjoyed tasting stuff just to see if it was repulsively nauseous or not. So I gave up about a quart, no biggie. I tossed the trub rather than trying to harvest.

I have in the past used a secondary fermenter when trub levels got high, but always had a slight positive CO2, to avoid oxygenating. I didn't do that, this time, due to lack of CO2 at the new house, where I am brewing.

UPDATE: The batch seems to be okay. I just pulled the first glass today and it was rather nice. HUGE head, very creamy mouth feel. A little sediment, as usual, in the first glass. Tomorrow's glass should be excellent. Mrs. Monster approves.

Back