Weird particles floating in beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remos112

Reaction score
So recently I brewed a Belgian amber ale and I used Isenglass as a fermenter fining.
Since the beer was possibly overcarbed I decided to pop one early, about 5 days in the bottle. I took it home in the car, trub was obviously disturbed but since it was just a carbonation check I didn't really care about the prospect of less than crystal clear beer. However when I poored it in my glass it looked like this:

It was definetely not overcarbed, but those particles just hovering in the fluid what the heck? I have never seen anything like it. Is this the Isenglass trying to re-settle the trub after the car ride? Or is it something else I have never seen?
The beer however is delicous, just wasn't expecting this kind of crazyness.

I started seeing white specs like that in my campden treated water when I started using some new tablets - maybe 1 or 2 years ago. I found that the new tablets had the same amount of metabisulfate, but they weighed twice as much as the ones I had used before. I think the tiny particles are extra filler that the manufacturer started adding. Tried to find out exactly what was going on, but the manufacturer and suppliers didn't know (at least the people I was allowed to talk to). I haven't seen these in the bottles, but I generally let them condition 3 - 4 weeks, so they probably settle out.

I had similar results clearing some wine with isinglass. I don’t think I let it set long enough before racking it. Should clear out after a couple days and or pours. It all sat in the bottom for me. Might crash it hard to speed it up.... less than 32f.

I had similar results clearing some wine with isinglass. I don’t think I let it set long enough before racking it. Should clear out after a couple days and or pours. It all sat in the bottom for me. Might crash it hard to speed it up.... less than 32f.

This beer sat for a week at 4c before bottling. Will update after some more time in the bottle.

This is what the beer looks like when the trub is not disturbed, only 4 hours in the fridge, very happy with this clarity!
IMG_6383_1.jpg

Back