Weird film inside empty keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayBeer

Reaction score
81E662E2-68E5-41EE-82B5-EC68658AECB0.jpeg
I opened an empty keg to clean it and found this weird film across the inside of the keg. It looked like something straight out of a sci-fi movie. The keg had only been empty for a Day. Any ideas as to what it could be and whether or not I should hear treat my keg?

How did the beer taste?

Scrub it with PBW and a brush

The beer tasted great. No off flavors, but it was a gin infused ipa with a heavy gin flavor. That could have covered up any off flavors.

Maybe the Gin left the film

I’d just clean real well and press on

Make sure you break down the keg- remove the posts and take out the poppets and clean well. Replace the o-rings. It may not be an infection- but it definitely looks suspect and I wouldn't take the chance.

No offense but don't think I'll be drinking your beer anytime soon. As suggested clean and pasteurize that keg well. If it looks that creepy more than likely is bad news.

Good god if I were you I wouldn't be able to sleep with that thing in the house. Whatever cleaning method you choose, add some fire for good measure.

Joking aside, I'd heat some strong pbw solution to boiling in my kettle then fill that keg to the brim and leave to soak overnight. Then disassemble as far as possible and do a thorough scrubdown. Whatever you do make sure that thing is dead before you go washing any bits of it out, otherwise who knows where it may end up. Right now it's more or less contained, so use that to your advantage.

Edit: Gin flavored ipa? Yikes. Anything strongly flavored enough to cover up that demon's lungbutter is definitely not for me.

That's some nasty looking stuff!
Out of curiosity, how long did the beer sit in the keg, and at what temperature(s) was it stored?

Fill it with chlorine and toss it in the Mariana Trench.

View attachment 548397 I opened an empty keg to clean it and found this weird film across the inside of the keg. It looked like something straight out of a sci-fi movie. The keg had only been empty for a Day. Any ideas as to what it could be and whether or not I should hear treat my keg?

damn ...that is some scary stuff.
you might wanna get ahold of 5 gallons of holy water
...along with an old priest and a young priest :p

Have you seen stranger things? Reminds me of something from that show!! Seriously after some oxyclean I would clean it with some BLC also, that is scary.

That is scary! I use hot BLC remove gunk from kegs I get in used. Normally not 5 gallons but in this case I would fill it to the rim then add however much BLC it takes to make a double strength solution... the acid will kill it!

Have you seen stranger things? Reminds me of something from that show!! Seriously after some oxyclean I would clean it with some BLC also, that is scary.

That was exactly what I thought of when I opened the keg. It’s too bad I can’t recreate it or I could make bank on the next season. Lol.

Looks like something you'd see in Aliens. There's probably a facehugger in the bottom. Kill it with fire. :eek:

damn ...that is some scary stuff.
you might wanna get ahold of 5 gallons of holy water
...along with an old priest and a young priest :p

I’d sacrifice a few chickens and/or goats, too...just in case! And then drive it a few states away and dump in a deep lake!

That stuff is either unholy or alien!!

Back