Weird discoloration on keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msexton

Reaction score
I have a perfectly good keg except for some staining inside at the top. I thought it may be rust but it doesn't feel rough or anything. I had scrubbed with t blue scrubby, used BKF, soaked in oxyclean overnight etc.

Anyone know what this may be and how I can clean it up?

7446t-kegstain.jpg

It could be staining left behind from flux when the keg was originally welded, in which case you'd have to remove it mechanically, or maybe just not worry about it.

But I'm no expert, and I'm interested in any other explanations.

It's not stained from flux. Stainless does not require flux when welding. Unless you're welding with the SMAW process. Which is highly unlikely.

Where did you get the keg from?

How did you remove the top?

Anyway, you can use an abrasive to remove the staining whatever it is.
Just be sure that the abrasive is either new or has never been used on anything other than stainless steel and you will have no worries.

Don't believe all the hype about passivation and abrasives on stainless.

Passivation is used to remove free iron from the surface of stainless so that when the protective oxide layer reforms it is free of contaminants.

Stainless steel will repair itself if the protective oxide layer is disturbed as long as the surface is exposed to moisture and oxygen.

After using an abrasive to remove the staining, rinse with water and the stainless steel will do the rest.

I'm sure some people on this forum are going to balk at my statements but the only reason I would refrain from using an abrasive is if I had a fancy vessel with a highly polished surface finish, and only because I didn't want to mess up the finish. But given the circumstances I still would because you can bring that surface finish back to it's original condition.

I have been in the welding business for 22 years mostly pipe welding.. Welding stainless steel for close to 15 years. So there's not much anyone on this forum is going to have to say that's going convince me otherwise.

Maybe I just take it for granted that I've been working with stainless for so long that I know how to work with it without compromising it's integrity.

This is a corney keg and the top has not been removed. You can just see the liquid out post on the upper left of the image. I got the keg off ebay a while ago and was just using for parts but I finally got my other kegs all working including this one. I figured if I could clean this out I could use it.

May be difficult to get some abrasive in there, I can barely get my hand in to take the picture with my camera phone.

ferric oxide rouging (rust).

your keg is probably 304/304L. just sand it off as stated above.
dremel with a flex shaft will get in there.

Back