Weird Cloudiness, Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispat91

Reaction score
I've made a few apple wines and meads before. But I'm really just a beginner with close to zero knowledge.

My recipe was:

4 gal pure apple juice
5 lb sugar
Champagne yeast
Tannins
1 cup of mulling spices

I thought I'd try to get a spiced apple wine going, and finished clarifying (bentonite) and treating (Camden and Metabisulfite) a couple of days ago. I bottled two days ago and I'm noticing a really strange *something* in the wine.

It isn't really cloudy like dirty dishwater. It seems clear enough, except when I disturb the bottle and hold it to light, an almost silvery-looking substance seems to be flowing in it. Shaking it doesn't seem to fully incorporate it either. I took a picture, but it doesn't do it much justice. This is the case with all bottles.

Has anyone seen this before? I have samples a little bit, and although a little dry, it seems okay.

Attachments

• 20201223_143535.jpg
    20201223_143535.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 18
Likely is pectin haze since pectic enzymes were not added during the fermentation. Not harmful and does not affect the taste, just not pretty.

Likely is pectin haze since pectic enzymes were not added during the fermentation. Not harmful and does not affect the taste, just not pretty.

Hmm. I suppose I'll run with that. I haven't seen it before. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll read up on it.

Latest posts

Back