Weird Bubbles in 2ndary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
I'm probably just over thinking this since I've been studying way more about the ins and outs of the brewing process...

Anyway, bottling day is coming up and I was just checking out my beer sitting in the carboy. There are small patches of bubbles here and there on the surface, any thoughts on that?

Now I can't recall if I noticed anything happening in my last batch, as I said, I've been doing a lot of reading so now I'm more concerned with things that seem odd.

When I first noticed the bubbles I gasped and thought "mold oh no". However, on closer inspection the suspicious patches are nothing more than bubbles that have taken an alarming shape.

Looking very closely, I can still see bubbles forming in the middle of the patches and with a light I can see small bubbles rising slowly from the bottom, along the sides. Yeah, my beer's so black if you can't see it at the side you can't see it. lol

With small the bubbles from the bottom, I guessing the cause for the patches on the surface is that I've still got a small portion of yeast that's still working in the beer. Come bottling day I'm going to take another gravity reading and see if there's been a change.

I just thought I'd run this you folks and see if something's amiss, or if I'm just now noticing a normal harmless thing I had previously overlooked.

Yep. Don't worry. You've got live yeast still kicking. Plus you have some CO2 in solution from fermentation... that's going to be actively bubbling up at a very small rate. Sounds like all is right with the world.

My Scottish Ale (first brew) is doing the same thing and I was wondering about it. Thanks for asking! Now I know.

Thanks all for the confirmation! :D

I was pretty sure that's what it was, it just looked so much like the "M word" from a distance. haha.
:mug:

Many of mine do too, especially when I rack to secondary after a quick fermentation. Not to worry.

Back