Weighting down oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
Had anyone heard if it really matters if you weight down oak in a secondary or if it floats? I have a nylon bag and I could use some glass marbles but I wonder if it really matters.

Or if you are bothered...
Put some marbles or cristal beads in the bag..

FYI - oak chips might sink but nylon bags float. Probably doesn't matter but my chips and bag are at the top of the secondary.

Use any of the stainless steel fittings you have on your equipment, sanitize them, then put them in the nylon bag.

Also, it would be "Weighing down oak chips." No letter T.

FYI - oak chips might sink but nylon bags float. Probably doesn't matter but my chips and bag are at the top of the secondary.

I put 4 ounces of Medium French Oak chips, 2 oz each into 2 one gallon paint strainer bags. I pushed them down a few times until they floated mostly under the surface. At bottling I described the taste as drinking liquid tree!.

I put 4 ounces of Medium French Oak chips, 2 oz each into 2 one gallon paint strainer bags. I pushed them down a few times until they floated mostly under the surface. At bottling I described the taste as drinking liquid tree!.

4oz of oak chips (and assuming 5gal batch) is a heck of a lot, so that's not a surprise.

4oz of oak chips (and assuming 5gal batch) is a heck of a lot, so that's not a surprise.

It was a 5 gallon batch. It is now oakey but not overpowering. Very nice... The comment was aimed at the fact that the taste at bottling can be very different from when the beer is fully conditioned and maybe even more with some aging.

Use any of the stainless steel fittings you have on your equipment, sanitize them, then put them in the nylon bag.

Brilliant! Been searching for glass weights, etc. when I already have lots of Stainless steel elbows, adapters, etc. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back