Weighing down dry hop bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...but what happens if you lose your marbles?

Sorry - tried to resist, but my inner two-year-old insisted on being silly.

I use those glass marbles that people use in vases. My wife has a bunch lying around, so I scoop up a handful, sanitize 'em, and throw them in with the hops.

I do the same thing. Wife was throwing them away with old vases so now I have 100s and don't care if I forget to remove them. Probably a few in the compost right now! :)

I just use some left over fittings from my brew build, like nipples and washers and stuff. Just gotta be careful you don't trash them if you don't feel like cleaning the hop sack :)

I do the same thing. Wife was throwing them away with old vases so now I have 100s and don't care if I forget to remove them. Probably a few in the compost right now! :)

I finally got smart and put the marbles in a grain bag that then goes inside of another bag with the hops. Now I just pull out the marble bag and dump the hops.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

Last couple of times I dry hopped I had 10 of the very strong magnets, I put 5 in a baggie in with my hops, the other 5 I used on the outside of my plastic fermentation bucket. The attraction was strong enough I could use the outside magnets to slowly pull the hop bag to the bottom of the fermenter and keep it there. After a couple of days I was able to move the hop bag around in the bucket; not sure that made any difference just wanted to see if the magnetic attraction was strong enough to do it. Not sure this would work for anything other than a plastic bucket but it keep my hops submerged in my fermenter.

Polar brew?

I got a little extravagant and bought 2 316 stainless steel 1/2 inch ball bearings. Super easy to sanitize, a bit expensive, but really effective!

Back