Wee Heavy Caramelization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunnerer

Reaction score
Made a Wee Heavy Strong Scotch Ale . 2 gals of 1.089 first runnings were boiled down/"carmelized" to 2 pints. The carmelization was thick and foamy and started to form some thick black syrup [like molasses] on the bottom of a heavy-bottom 3-gal stainless steel kettle. It was a small amount and the liquid was a nice dark brown color. We originally wanted to get to 1 pint but decided not to risk burning it. It took well over 2 hours to get to this point in order to avoid boil overs. After transferring to the brew kettle, we noticed a paper thin, really hard skin coating on the bottom of the S/S carmelization kettle. We assumed that we scorched the carmelization product. The skin would not dissolve in boiling water and had to be chipped away. It was a bear to clean up. The black skin had no flavor whatsoever - not burnt, not sweet. In your experience, should we have kept going to 1 pint or stop at 3 pints, or was two good enough? Any tips or thoughts from experienced carmelizers?

Last edited:
I've performed a couple of carmelizations by boiling down first runnings. First time was incomplete, but second time was perfect.

You boil hard until the wort has really thickened up and looks like magma. Then reduce the heat so that it still boils but the bubbles are small. Insert a thermometer in the wort and monitor the temperature closely. Keep swirling the thermometer along the pot bottom to monitor all over. When the temperature starts rising above 220F, its time to pay very close attention. The temperature will rise very fast at some point. I took my wort to 230F and it was definitely caramelized and thick. That seems to be a high enough temperature.

Then let the wort cool off some. Don't add water to that wort initially since it is well above water's boiling point and you will have a volcano. Once its below 210F, you can add some water to the caramelized wort so that you will be able to get it mixed up, dissolved, and pourable so you can add it back to the kettle.

Is there any difference when doing full-volume BIAB? I don't have "first runnings" per se, so do I just pull off a gallon of wort after I remove my bag and caramelize that?

I'd say just make sure the gravity is high enough, mine was 1.089 when I started carmelizing 2 gallons and even that took almost 3 hours.

Back