WB06 does not equal WLP300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealperkins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently the Fermentis WB-06 is NOT, NOT the same as WLP300.

So, I've got 10 gallons of a beer that sucks. BTW, I've made this beer probably 20 times, always great. This time, everything was the same except the yeast.

I'm disappointed, but now I know.

I've got a packet of WB06 sitting in my fridge. What was wrong with yours? I haven't tried using it yet, so I want to know what to expect.

Every variable was identical except the yeast. There is considerably less weizen flavor in this beer. It is not that it is bad beer, just much less flavor; maybe halfway to an American Wheat.

Every variable was identical except the yeast. There is considerably less weizen flavor in this beer. It is not that it is bad beer, just much less flavor; maybe halfway to an American Wheat.

Ok so its a much cleaner flavor? Interesting, sorry to hear it didn't work out so good.

Apparently the Fermentis WB-06 is NOT, NOT the same as WLP300.

So, I've got 10 gallons of a beer that sucks. BTW, I've made this beer probably 20 times, always great. This time, everything was the same except the yeast.

I'm disappointed, but now I know.

Has anyone claimed it is the same strain?
I use the wb-06 all the time, but it MUST be used differently than the
3068 or wlp 300.
If I want the clove to dominate, I pitch the yeast dry at about 62 degrees
if bannana...pitch at 65 degrees in a well aerated wort. the actual ferm temp is about 4 degrees higher.

The trick for this yeast IMHO is to bottle it early. for a 1.042 OG I usually bottle it after 5 days in primary! If you leave it on the yeast cake it will clean up the traditional "hefeweizen" flavors and give a more american wheat ale flavor.
don't give up on this yeast......it is the quickest tasty beer I know of.....
Good luck!

Has anyone claimed it is the same strain?
I use the wb-06 all the time, but it MUST be used differently than the
3068 or wlp 300.
If I want the clove to dominate, I pitch the yeast dry at about 62 degrees
if bannana...pitch at 65 degrees in a well aerated wort. the actual ferm temp is about 4 degrees higher.

The trick for this yeast IMHO is to bottle it early. for a 1.042 OG I usually bottle it after 5 days in primary! If you leave it on the yeast cake it will clean up the traditional "hefeweizen" flavors and give a more american wheat ale flavor.
don't give up on this yeast......it is the quickest tasty beer I know of.....
Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, its great to hear from people about how different yeast behave.

Used this yeast in an American wheat and holy hell, is it tart! I should have done a little more research on the yeast first. I hope it mellows after I bottle tonight.

Maybe a ferment temperature adjustment would have helped?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Possibly. I fermented at 67 and did a diacatyl rest at 72. Are you saying a cooler ferment would produce less tart?

Possibly. I fermented at 67 and did a diacatyl rest at 72. Are you saying a cooler ferment would produce less tart?

Not necessarily. My point is that if your beer is lacking a certain yeast character, i would verify ferment temp nuances that may be specific to this yeast. If you are wanting more esters try fermenting warmer etc.

My experience with WLP037 yorkshire square yeast was that if you fermented at the suggested temp the yeast flavors were more along the lines of a belgium. And when i lowered the ferment temps that went away.

Thanks for the tips, its great to hear from people about how different yeast behave.

Have you had good results with the wlp 300 or 3068?
If so, what is the trick?
I had variable results with 3068....from sulfer to low esters.....etc.

I love the weizen style beer i had in germany years ago
and am trying to replicate it

:mug:

I've had great results fermenting both of those at 62 degrees.

Nope, never used either yeast. I've got some WB06 sitting in the fridge, I'll be sure to use your tip and pull it off the yeast early to capture some of that flavor profile.

Nope, never used either yeast. I've got some WB06 sitting in the fridge, I'll be sure to use your tip and pull it off the yeast early to capture some of that flavor profile.

Good luck! I have learned alot on this site so it feels good to help!

I entered a brewing contest with a 3068 weizen a while back and scored well
but it did not behave predictably....it did not carb up well :( a. i did another brew with the wb-06 and it was much better and quicker.
Not giving up on that yeast, i just need to figure out how to use it!
:)

They say part of the German weizen flavor comes from underpitching and the esters that the yeast makes when multiplying. Maybe that is why it's more like an American wheat?

Back