Waystone Double ESB/Anker's Small Beer BIAB Parti-gyle Brew Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oter

Reaction score
So I finally got my new equipment set up. 15 gallon kettle, 2 burner brewstand (academy sports frycart), and biab pulley system. Decided to break it in with a BIAB parti-gyle brew session. Now to be clear, I may be doing something not so parti-gyle, if I am I don't realize it. The documentation about parti-gyle-ing (legit word) and BIAB is hard to find at best. However, when you think about it, it is pretty straight forward. I just did the no sparge BIAB method. However, I skipped the usual mash out phase and saved that for my second runnings. Based on what I found online for tradtional parti-gyle brewing, my two batches would be .010 over and .010 under (respectively) my target OG of the overall 10 gallon batch recipe. I hit that pretty much on the head, being only .003 over my target OG's for each batch. Not too shabby or winging it. As far as water volume, I went with beersmith for my initial mash volume and just subtracted the absorbtion from my first runnings to calculate my second mash volume. Also, for my OG's, I built the recipe as a 10 gallon batch, then upped the efficiency to 80% for the first runnings and lowered it to 40% for the second. I was off by about 5 percent.

First off, a shot at the new set up.
DSCN0096.jpg

And the command center.
DSCN0097.jpg

Doughing in and mashing for the first runnings. I did a standard 60 minute mash at 154* F.
DSCN0101.jpg

DSCN0102.jpg

After and hour I hoist up the grains (need to revise the pulley system, as 10 gal worth of grains are mighty heavy after a mash).
DSCN0103.jpg

DSCN0105.jpg

After letting the bag drain out 7 gallons of wort, I drained off the first runnings and set them to boil.
DSCN0106.jpg

Hops weighed out.
DSCN0100.jpg

45 minutes later (30 minute "remash-mashout" and the grains draining for 15 minutes) I have my second runnings, which I promptly set to a boil.
DSCN0108.jpg

Chilling the first runnings (OG 1.070. Only off my projected OG by .0003 on the h)
DSCN0107.jpg

And the second runnings (OG 1.037. Once again only off by .003 on the high side)
DSCN0109.jpg

And after a long, hot, trying brew day...
DSCN0110.jpg

Latest posts

Back