Ways to keep beer lines cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinHickey

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a kegerator under my loft steps in my room that has two 3/16" beer lines that run up to two faucets on the stair exterior. Because of this, it leaves about 2 feet of 3/16" line on each system in unconditioned space. I was wondering if anyone has devised a way to keep these cold without an expensive glycol system (rediculous for this application). I have tried insulating the piping but that doesnt really work either.

Any ideas?

2" (or so) PVC pipe with insulation on the outside, coupled with a fan blowing cold air into it from the fridge?

I saw a pretty cool idea about using copper tubbing.
The idea is to take advantage of the coppers thermal transfer properties...
Have a larger mass of copper (say 5 or 6 feet) coiled in the cooler/kegorator, and extend outside 2 feet to the taps. Run your lines inside the copper. The idea is that the cooled mass, will keep the exposed copper chilled. I would of course still insulate the exposed portion.

I've never tried it, but thought you might be able to do something with the concept.

Good Luck.

Back