Ways to eliminate bottle sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link45

Reaction score
Hi all, im looking for ways to eliminate bottle sediment. I generally only use a primary for brewing, prime the bottles and bottle it. Would racking into a secondary, adding priming sugar, dissolving and then bottling help? Other ways appreciated thanks

When I bottled I siphoned into a bottling bucket with the priming solution in it and let it sit a while to settle. Then I transfered to bottles with a bottling wand. I still have some sediment but its ok.

Just try to have the siphon thats in primary above the sediment so you transfer as little as possible to the bottling bucket.

It can't be helped if you are bottle conditioning, I'm afraid. That sediment is flocculated yeast for the most part.

The whole method of bottle carbonating relies on the fact that the residual yeast in your beer are eating the priming sugar and producing CO2 which is then absorbed into your beer when you chill it.

Without the yeast you will get no carbonation. You could filter them out before bottling (that's what pro breweries do) but you have to artificially carbonate it in another vessel if you want to do that.

The sediment comes with bottle conditioning...I'm not aware of lower-sediment options (even a low flocculating yeast will still drop out some).
You could get a keg, condition in the keg, then bottle the carbonated beer (if you're gentle with moving the keg then after the first 1/2-1 pint it will be clear), but you'd need the gear and a way to chill the keg prior to bottling.

I can't remember the name of it, but someone developed these neat little caps with a detachable reservoir in them. The idea is you put the cap on and store the bottles upside down while the beer conditions/carbonates. When it's done, the yeast settles into the little reservoir, which you then detach. There's apparently some kind of valve that closes when you remove the reservoir. Anyway, the idea is natural bottle carbonation without sediment. I'll see if I can find it.

Use Nottingham yeast. You will still get sediment, but if chilled properly, it sticks to the bottom of the bottle like glue. I pour out every bit of beer from my bottles when I use Notty, instead of having to leave 1/4" or so in the bottle, and don't get any yeast in the glass.

Minimized sediment:

Ferment in primary. When ferment/dryhop/etc is over, cold crash right down to freezing.

Fine with gelatin. Continue to cold crash 3-4 more days. Beer should be brilliantly clear.

Bottle your beer with priming sugar. Let the beer come up to room temp (68-70) for conditioning. Yes, it will condition just fine, there's plenty of yeast in suspension.

All that will be in the bottom of your bottle is a light dusting of yeast, and given enough time, it'll be glued down so hard that you can pour all the beer out of the bottle in one smooth pour.

Back