watery tasting Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdawg

Reaction score
Ok, I made a kolsch recipe kit 3 weeks ago. It used dme and some hops. I also used the wyeast Kolsch yeast.

The beer sat in primary for 3 weeks and I kegged it on Friday. It was very cloudy.

Today, I gave it a taste. It was of course still cloudy and not much carbonation (I know it still would be flat) But my concern is it was watery and not much flavor. I think the kit had 5 lbs of DME.

Will aging this change the watery flavor or is this the way it will taste?

Also I am going to make a beer for Octoberfest (I already have an octoberfest lagering) what would be a good choice for my party. I am going to smoke some kornish hens! Yum

Thanks

Well it should taste like flat beer. Kolsch is a pretty light beer overall. I wouldn't judge it for a couple weeks. The cloudiness is fine, a couple weeks cold conditioning will cause it to clear right up.

A traditional beer for Octoberfest would be any Munich style beer (only beers that are dispensed). Check out this website: www.germanbeerinstitute.com

Kolsch yeast is a poor flocculator. It needs an extended lagering period (4-6 weeks) to clear and is traditionally filtered if you want crystal clear beer. It is a subtle beer....which can be interrupted as wateriness I suppose (especially green and flat).

Just an update....After 10 days later the Kolsch is great! The hop and malt flavors are much more noticable now. It still is light in flavor but a very refreshing beer.

Back