Watermelon Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, still very active, just checked the temp on the water and the brew. 62F for the water, 66F in the carboy. If that 4degree difference holds at higher temps then my brew was about 76-77 deg before cooling.
all my other brews, with one exception, have done ok at room temp so why would this one be different? That exception had other issues.
I don't think that 4 degrees will always be the difference. At peak fermentation at ambient room will be higher than after it slows, I try to keep ambient temperature around 58 to 60? Ya gotta do what ya can if you don't have temp control chamber.

Sadly being only a few feet above sea level I have no basement.

Day 3 and the activity is slowing. Don't know if it's because it finally cooled or because it's finishing.

@Westwind7 did you remove the organic pulp? I got most of it out of mine before pitching but I'm concerned what's left is turning. This is starting to smell.like a zuccini/summer squash I tried a few months ago. Had to toss that. Could not get past the smell.

Yes, I removed all the pulp through a fine strainer then added the nutrient etc after it was cool. Didn’t have a problem at all. ‍♂️

thanks, it's too late to get the last of it out so I hope it will be ok.

I hope so too. It would be a shame to go through all the trouble you did only to have a bad batch. Especially 6 gallons of it. I only ever make one or two at a time.

I remembered I have a 75 micron brew bag so I ran it thru that. Got.most of the organic out, but also removed.some.of the yeast. So it is now slowly building back up. I 'll let it run it's course and see what I get.

:ban: So, no ice water bath since running it thru my bag. Temp in fermenter is 71F as of this morning and that smell is greatly reduced. What ever it was it is dissipating. Fermenting has slowed a lot. Still active but not the constant stream of bubbles it was.

I’m really new to wine, so sorry for the silly questions. I just want to make sure I got the directions right. 2 months after I pitch I rack. 3 months later I rack, and then in 3 months,, if no activity then make your add, then bottle. So that is 8 months in total to bottle correct? How long do you age your wine?

That will depend on the wine. Some can be served as a table wine as early as 3-4 months. Some like the banana I'm planing are said to take 2 years to mature, drinkable in 1.
As for this one, I think I forgot to ask....:confused:

As far as my batch is concerned, it totally depends on how the ferment goes. Sometimes, the action in the airlock will slow to very little action in a couple of weeks. You’ll know when to rack it by watching the gas bubbles escaping. I said two months then rack, but it could be much sooner depending on temperature etc. (Remember, a hydrometer is your best bet in determining when your wine has fermented out fully.) The times I quoted are simply relative. I actually added some time to them to make sure your wine clears out completely. Keep in mind that fruit wines which have heavier amounts of pulp can take time to settle out completely.

Last edited:
I usually wait till the action stops, rack, waIt till it clears, then rack any time I get 1/4 inch or more lees. Once it sits with no change for a week or 2 (sometimes longer) I rack it again and wait to bottle.

As far as my batch is concerned, it totally depends on how the ferment goes. Sometimes, the action in the airlock will slow to very little action in a couple of weeks. You’ll know when to rack it by watching the gas bubbles escaping. I said two months then rack, but it could be much sooner depending on temperature etc. (Remember, a hydrometer is your best bet in determining when your wine has fermented out fully.) The times I quoted are simply relative. I actually added some time to them to make sure your wine clears out completely. Keep in mind that fruit wines which have heavier amounts of pulp can take time to settle out completely.

how long would you suggest from the time you bottle to the time you can drink it? So far I have only done 1 wine ( strawberry) back in Febuarary.

how long would you suggest from the time you bottle to the time you can drink it? So far I have only done 1 wine ( strawberry) back in Febuarary.

When making fruit wine, most of mine are drinkable right away but I like to wait a month or more before sampling. All wines get better over time as long as they’re cool and dark.

5EF37296-22BD-41DC-8A14-7B24701364CB.jpeg Well I decided to uncork a bottle of my watermelon wine just to see how it’s doing.... It’s definitely wine. A little more tart than I expected but palatable just the same.

Thanks for the motivation, I was thinking watermelon then I found a great deal on strawberries and did a batch of that first. But now I just got my first batch prepared. I cut the top off a gallon sized melon, scooped and mashed right in the melon itself. I then poured the contents into a container while straining out most of the pulp to squeeze. I ended up with just under a gallon of juice with some pulp. I added 6 drops of liquid peptic enzyme, a Camden tablet, topped off with some frozen raspberries, and stuck it in the fridge. My plan is to only use the cleared juice after the enzyme has a chance to work for a day or two, then I’m pitching some yeast from a starter/culture I have been maintaining.

Thanks for the motivation, I was thinking watermelon then I found a great deal on strawberries and did a batch of that first. But now I just got my first batch prepared. I cut the top off a gallon sized melon, scooped and mashed right in the melon itself. I then poured the contents into a container while straining out most of the pulp to squeeze. I ended up with just under a gallon of juice with some pulp. I added 6 drops of liquid peptic enzyme, a Camden tablet, topped off with some frozen raspberries, and stuck it in the fridge. My plan is to only use the cleared juice after the enzyme has a chance to work for a day or two, then I’m pitching some yeast from a starter/culture I have been maintaining.

Sounds great! Keep us updated on how it goes.

So I have to wait for 8 months for this water melon wine..................:yes:
Well depending on your process and yeast, aging can take at least that long. But by the way he words it, his time frame is more for racking and clearing. If you use clarifying agents or cold crash, you’ll prob be cleared for bottling sooner than 8 months.

Ok, I did the first three month racking. Tasted it... Pretty bad. The wife said, and I quote, "This is disgusting!". Smells bad as well. Is this normal at this point?

A friendly bump here. I'm curious how this turns out being as I'm thinking doing a batch of this next summer.

I understand that watermelon is hard to ferment in that it has to ferment quickly to avoid going rank/bad. Once it starts fermenting the increasing alcohol level supposedly protects it from spoilage...but, you've gotta get it to that point. I'm a little concerned in the high temperatures that this one experienced, Blacksmith1. Hoping for the best!!! :yes:

I've been trying to get a room ready at an old trailer/mobile home on the property. It's been sitting vacant for the last five or six years. Finally got the room cleaned out but the musty smell is still there though much less with a lot of cleaning and disinfecting. I'm using a small 5000btu A/C unit with an Inkbird controller. The recent heat wave that we had I could keep the room down at 67F. I might could've went cooler but didn't try it. I feel like the mid to low 60's would be about it.

But, after cleaning it up I'm beginning to get disheartened with the idea of using that room. That musty smell I just don't like, though it may get better the more I air the trailer out. But, it's several hundred feet from the house and I'd really like a spot closer. I'm thinking of building a small 8x8 shed to work in. The small A/C should really keep that cold, especially if I went into it and bypassed the thermostat and let the Inkbird handle things. I haven't completely decided on what to do, yet. Just kind of floundering around at the moment.<sigh>

You would get better results by passing the thermostat so that's a good plan. If you build the shed insulate it with a thick layer ( or two thin ones ) of polystyrene and make a giant igloo cooler out of it. Try to keep the humidity out as well. It will save $ on the power. My first step will be a small fridge I already have and a cheap controler off amazon.

I wired a utility shed for a friend of mine a few weeks back. He proceeded to stuff in R19 fiberglass batts into the ceilings and wall. I'm not sure if he helped or hurt himself by using the overly thick insulation for the 2x4 studded walls and ceiling, but that's what he did. He then used luan for the interior walls. He's got a 5000btu a/c that he's using and it works great! I figure he probably will be spending $8-$10 a month during the hot season for electricity. I call his shed "The Thermos". :D

Yeah, if I do build the shed/room I'll definitely insulate it very well. For a well insulated 8x8 foot room a couple of old incandescent 100W light bulbs would probably heat it during the mild cold/freeze spells that we have.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The trailer is there not being used for anything but a big storage room right now. Just gotta get the air quality better. Keeping windows open when I can. Even ordered some incense yesterday to try....man, I haven't burned incense since the 1970's!!!!!:yes:

So One year and 2 days after pitching, I just realized this is still in the carboy. I'm going to have to make time to bottle this soon. Unfortunately it is across the state from me now. Good excuse for a road trip I guess.

Do update when you do! I already bottles mine months ago, it still had a little bit of that funk at the time. I’m going to have to pull a bottle out soon, prob when the Esther warms and I want to think of Summer.

So One year and 2 days after pitching, I just realized this is still in the carboy. I'm going to have to make time to bottle this soon. Unfortunately it is across the state from me now. Good excuse for a road trip I guess.

have you try it yet? iam fixing to make a 6 gallon batch with strawberry's.

Finally tried to bottle this. Sadly th funk that was in it when it started is still there. No one wants to drink it so it will be poured out. It's really bad.

Back