Watermelon wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racket2013

Reaction score
Making a gallon batch of watermelon wine. I used 1 large watermelon( about 2 quarts of total juice. Reserve pieces in nylon bag). About 1 1/2 pounds of sugar, nutrient, Camden tablet, 2 quarts of water, and EC-1118 yeast. I had gotten 2 days of vigorous fermenting now it seems to be either very slow or stopped. Please help. 1st time trying watermelon wine.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What do you need help with? Are you concerned with the lack of visible fermentation. Do not worry. Just let it ride. Do you have a hydrometer and have taken reading?

One thing about watermellon wine is that it looses it's flavor quickly and more so when watered down. I would let this ride until clear and then rack into a new clean jug/carboy. Add a crushed Camden tablet to prevent oxidation and 1/2 tsp sorbate to prevent further fermentation and then after 12 hours top up with more freshly juiced watermellon. Fit as much juice as you can in there. Then let it sit another couple weeks for any further clearing to happen. Then try it out. Add sugar to taste.

I would check the gravity might be done already. I never made watermelon but I hear it can sour pretty quickly. Might be time to rack to carboy with airlock.

My SG reading is at 1.000. I moved into carboy with airlock. Question do u think before bottling down the road i could add some watermelon extract to get some more flavor into it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back