watered it down-any ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
While racking to my secondary, I had trouble starting the siphon and ended up adding more water to the beer (trying to start the siphon), than I'd have liked. I tried it last week and it tasted good, but a bit weak. Any way I could add some more flavor?
It's a nut brown-if that helps.

I'm not sure what to do about your current beer. How much water could you have possibly added? 1 hose length worth? Even that would probably not be very noticeable.

Is it possible you're serving it too cold?

Also try starting the siphon into a smaller container (we use our gallon measure, a Sterilite pitcher) and then when your water (or better yet sanitizer solution!) has run out and beer flows through, pinch off the hose to move it to the destination vessel.

I had to get it going a few times , so it was a few hoses worth...it was already pretty sweet/malty, and not too hoppy-so that's probably part of it too. I think it will be OK, I just wouldn't mind livining it up a bit. It hasn't bene bottled yet-this was just from sample...I think I'll likely invest in an auto-siphon-or just say to heck with the secondary altogether.

Don't say to heck with secondary!

I've only used an autosiphon once, but it was blatantly easy. I'd give it a try if you think it'll make it easier for you.

We got a pretty good system going for siphoning last brewing/bottling session. I hope this helps:

We keep a keg tub full of sanitizer throughout the session for whatever needs it. Put the cane and hose together and put the hose into the tub and evenly lower it in until the cane is about 1/2 way in. Reach in and thumb the end of the hose and pull the whole thing back out. It should be largely full of sanitizing solution. Let the outsided drip for a minute (to avoid sanitizer running down the outside of the cane, but don't worry too much!) and put the cane in the carboy or bucket. Release the siphon into another vessel to catch the sanitizer. Pinch it off when the beer comes through and move it over to the destination bottling bucket or carboy.

BrewDey said:
While racking to my secondary, I had trouble starting the siphon and ended up adding more water to the beer (trying to start the siphon), than I'd have liked. I tried it last week and it tasted good, but a bit weak. Any way I could add some more flavor?
It's a nut brown-if that helps.
For future brews get an auto-siphon, these are very easy to use and don't require and additional water.
For this brew, wait until it is fully carbonated. The body will really fill out once there is some carbonation. Flat green beer usually does not taste much like the final product.
Craig

Bobby_M said:
Wait until you get it carbonated. Flat beer tastes more watery than carbonated beer.
This makes sense...and the other ones were a lot more bitter than this to begin with. Hopefully it's not as bad as I think.

That thing looks pretty slick-definitley less messy and more effecient than using water. Thanks!

Back