Watered down taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
So I have seen a few threads about peoples beers tasting a little watered down and not very flavorful. I just made my own recipe of a ipa I made and after kegging it yesterday it has that same flavor.

It sat in primary for 4 weeks and now is kegged. It doesn't have much mouth feel and the hop aroma isn't that strong even though I dry hopped. I read that the beer still has to condition and get past it's green phase and all these flavors or lack there of should change and it will help once the beer is carbed.

Could using to much water also actually water down the beer? I was going for a 5.5 gallon batch but I ended up around 6.2.

Also, my est. og and fg were 1.063/1.015 but my actual were 1.058/1.014 so I was off a bit.

Just trying to figure out what, if anything, could have gone wrong or if it will be ok over time.

Seems like you added a bit more water than planned, so that will add a bit to a "watered down" taste.

What was the recipe you used? That will help us see.

Sounds to me like missing the og and boil volume could explain a watery mouthfeel. I always make sure to boil down to the correct batch size. If my pre-boil gravity is a little low then sometimes I will boil down to 4 or 5 gallons to make up for it, ensuring I hit the desired og. I also generally use about 0.25-0.5 lb carapils in all my batches to add mouthfeel, unless I am going for a super clear beer.

Mash temp can also make a huge difference; higher temps may add to the mouthfeel.

According to my calculations, you added .7 more gallons of water than you wanted to. That will dilute the flavor and mouthfeel about 11% or 12%. (so 11% less flavor than what you were hoping for perhaps?). This isn't very scientific, I'm just thinking out loud. :)

Also, the amounts of hops you used is important for flavor, especially in an IPA.

Thanks for the responses guys. I just made this recipe up but here is what it is.

14lb 2-Row
.5lb Caramel/Crystal 35L
.5lb Munich 20L

Mashed for 60 mins at about 155 or so. I know my mash this time was a little funky with the way I had my thermometer reading.

I guess I will see how it tastes once carbed but I'm sure it will just taste even better since my technique will be better next time and I hit all my volumes like I should be.

The hop schedule is fine. Don't think my hop additions have anything to do with it being watered down.

1 oz simcoe @ 60
.5 oz chinook @ 15
1 oz cascade @ 5
1 oz cascade @ 1/flameout

Dry hop in primary for 14 days 1.5 oz chinook & 2 oz amarillo

Back