Water volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIAB? Cooler mash tun with a bazooka filter? Going to let gravity do the work? Plan on squeezing?

.12Gal /lb is typical for a traditional system

.08Gal/lb with a Wilserbag with just the barest of squeezes.

BIAB? Cooler mash tun with a bazooka filter? Going to let gravity do the work? Plan on squeezing?

.12Gal /lb is typical for a traditional system

.08Gal/lb with a Wilserbag with just the barest of squeezes.
BIAB. I have a Wilserbag. This will be my second BIAB and I didn't make much in the way of notes.

.08-.09 would be a good place to start.

The actual amounts will depend on the process, but I would agree with this as a decent starting place. It is better to be a little conservative, than to not have enough volume.

I tune my recipes around a 0.07 gal/lb number. I hit this with my 5-gallon batches by letting the bag hang and dry for a while with just mild squeezing if needed. For my 2.5 gallon batches, where I don't have a good way to hang the bag, I squeeze/press the bag while it is in a colander over a bucket.

Measure the absorption on your next few batches and get an average for your process. For BIAB it's pretty simple; just subtract the post-mash volume from the starting water volume. Larger grain bills will absorb a bit more per pound than smaller ones. Having data on your own process will get you the best understanding of what to expect for future batches.

Measure the absorption on your next few batches and get an average for your process. For BIAB it's pretty simple; just subtract the post-mash volume from the starting water volume. Larger grain bills will absorb a bit more per pound than smaller ones. Having data on your own process will get you the best understanding of what to expect for future batches.
Gosh I feel like no matter how good of notes I'm taking there's always something I need to take a closer look at. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back