Water treatment kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romex2121

Reaction score
I’m about to place an order for stuff to try my hand at treating RO water, while browsing the net ive come across a couple places that have a number of salts packaged as a kit, Amazon has one that has 5or6 2oz packages for $12.00 and then there’s another place that has the small 2oz bottles of the basics , the water book and test strips for $42.00 ....
Neither one has a PH meter included,, I’m thinking of going with Amazon kit and picking up a PH meter while I’m there but what would be a decent PH meter without breaking the bank ?? I’d like to get one that’s gonna work as it should but not sure what else I need with it like solutions for testing meter and or storage solutions.. Any suggestions??

If you already have a scale that reports tenths of a gram, I suggest that buying the typically used salts and tailoring your water additions to the particular brew is going to be better and more cost-effective. You can pick up epsom salt, table salt, and baking soda at the grocery store. I so recommend getting your gypsum and calcium chloride from a homebrew store.

PS: scales that report tenths of a gram are not expensive. While there are software packages that help get your mashing pH into a desirable range, having a meter helps you know and fine-tune your pH. But not all pH meters have acceptable quality and it probably pays to get a decent meter with a replaceable probe that extends your longevity without breaking the bank. Buy once, cry once.

When getting a good quality pH meter you should also order the cleaning, storage and calibration solutions recommended for your new meter.

If you already have a scale that reports tenths of a gram, I suggest that buying the typically used salts and tailoring your water additions to the particular brew is going to be better and more cost-effective. You can pick up epsom salt, table salt, and baking soda at the grocery store. I so recommend getting your gypsum and calcium chloride from a homebrew store.

PS: scales that report tenths of a gram are not expensive. While there are software packages that help get your mashing pH into a desirable range, having a meter helps you know and fine-tune your pH. But not all pH meters have acceptable quality and it probably pays to get a decent meter with a replaceable probe that extends your longevity without breaking the bank. Buy once, cry once.

Martin, I just realized from your webpage that you went to the University of Florida; I did as well! Go Gators! :)

Latest posts

Back