Water testing question concerning carbon filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chudsonvt

Reaction score
I just moved into a new house. I am ready to get into water chemistry and want to send a sample out to somewhere like WardLabs. Seems straight forward enough. However, here is the concern. The house water system has an inline carbon filter right after the pressure tank, before feeding everything in the house. Is it correct that the carbon filter has no effect on the dissolved minerals of concern to a brewer? So it does not matter if it is a fresh filter or a filter ready to change? IE. the testing will have about the same result, regardless and I don't have to worry about deviations over time specifically caused by the filter (I know ground water can change over time, hence why many people will have their water tested at least once a year).

A carbon filter has no effect on the ionic content of the water. That filter might help remove lead and chlorine from the water supply, but unless its huge, it is probably not doing anything to the water quality. The residence time in contact with the carbon is probably too short.

Are you sure its a carbon filter and not just a particulate filter?

A carbon filter has no effect on the ionic content of the water. That filter might help remove lead and chlorine from the water supply, but unless its huge, it is probably not doing anything to the water quality. The residence time in contact with the carbon is probably too short.

Are you sure its a carbon filter and not just a particulate filter?

I'll have to look closer at it. However, for the sounds of it, it shouldn't make a difference, either way. I will go ahead and have the water tested and proceed with no worries about it. I am excited to taste the difference of with and without water adjustments.

I'll have to look closer at it. However, for the sounds of it, it shouldn't make a difference, either way. I will go ahead and have the water tested and proceed with no worries about it. I am excited to taste the difference of with and without water adjustments.

Once you get the hang of treating your water it will make a big difference in the out come of your brew. I know it did mine...:mug:

If you see a brand name, model number, etc, let me know and we can tell you what it is.

Russ

It's not uncommon for folks who are not terribly well informed to use:
*some unknown type of water filter, with
*unknown capacity, to
*treat unknown gpm water flow with
*unknown contaminants

The assumption apparently is that "water filters" are magic devices that "purify water."

In the world of professional water treatment however, as you might expect, a vendor will want to know all of those things - flow being treated, feedwater chemistry, desired effluent chemistry, needed capacity, and more, to help specify the most effective and cost-efficient equipment - be that a $5 sediment filter or a $50,000+ assemblage of equipment.

Russ

Back