Water temp in swamp bath?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cebo40

Reaction score
Have 6 gallon glass carboy in swamp bath. Cooler filled half way with water and towel draped over carboy. Using frozen gallon jugs in water to cool.

What should water temp be in the swamp bath? Trying to ferment around 64-67 degrees.

Water temp is reading 58 right now. Not sure what this equates to for the wort inside the carboy..

Any ideas?

You really should be using some sort of thermometer or thermowell to be checking the temps inside the carboy.

That's a great idea but doesn't help me at the moment. I have a thermo but don't want to remove the airlock to take reading.

That's a great idea but doesn't help me at the moment. I have a thermo but don't want to remove the airlock to take reading.

Fill the cooler up to the level of the wort if you can. If not fill it as high as you can.

In a water bath and a glass carboy you are getting pretty good conduction from the wort to the water bath. There will not be more than a couple of degrees difference between the bath water and wort assuming the water level is covering at least half the wort level. Even with violent fermentation the wort will be stirring enough to promote efficient conduction and keep the temps close to equal.

You probably want to let you water bath warm up to the 62 to 65 range.

Fill the cooler up to the level of the wort if you can. If not fill it as high as you can.

In a water bath and a glass carboy you are getting pretty good conduction from the wort to the water bath. There will not be more than a couple of degrees difference between the bath water and wort assuming the water level is covering at least half the wort level. Even with violent fermentation the wort will be stirring enough to promote efficient conduction and keep the temps close to equal.

You probably want to let you water bath warm up to the 62 to 65 range.

Exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Do you not have a stick on thermometer? That's how I read my temps in the swamp cooler.

I do but it's currently being used on another carboy. I have the water about 3/4's of the way up on the carboy. Water temp is right in the 62-64 degree range.

Latest posts

Back