Water sterilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentar

Reaction score
Hello,

do I need to boil or somehow sterilize a bought table water from the local store in a plastic container, before using in a extract procedure as cold water?

Hello,

do I need to boil or somehow sterilize a bought table water from the local store in a plastic container, before using in a extract procedure as cold water?

You can do whatever you want...this is brewing not rocket science my friend...but no it is not necessary

Edit:spell check

You should be fine to use the water as it is. In brewing there are only two reasons to boil water. Evaporate something off and/or to sterilize. Since its store bought then it has likely to have been filtered for chlorine already. Once you boil your wort and add hops then its its sterilized.

I think he is asking if ok to use bottled water as the chill water extract brewers sometimes add after the boil in the fermentor. I think it’s pretty common practice for people that are not able to manage a full volume boil.

if so yes store bought water should be sufficiently sanitary to add direct to your fermentor. You can chill it first inthe fridge to speed up time it takes to chill the full batch to a good yeast pitching temperature.

I think he is asking if ok to use bottled water as the chill water extract brewers sometimes add after the boil in the fermentor. I think it’s pretty common practice for people that are not able to manage a full volume boil.

if so yes store bought water should be sufficiently sanitary to add direct to your fermentor. You can chill it first inthe fridge to speed up time it takes to chill the full batch to a good yeast pitching temperature.
Think your correct. Thats one of my favorite things about brewing extract. Prechilled water saves a fair amount of time cooling. I try to get it as slighly above freezing before adding it to boiled wort.

Think your correct. Thats one of my favorite things about brewing extract. Prechilled water saves a fair amount of time cooling. I try to get it as slighly above freezing before adding it to boiled wort.

After a couple of years brewing AG I just recently tried brewing with extract for the first time. It's a lot of fun and much less stressful, not to mention the ridiculous time savings.

My LHBS had Munton's amber LME on sale today for 30% off and it doesn't expire until 10/21. I bought the last three cans just to have on hand. I'd have bought ten of them if they had more in stock. Malt extract is perhaps one of the most useful tools in the AG brewer's arsenal, and super handy for OG adjustments, making starters, or small-batch recipe experimentation. Ain't brewing fun!?!

How many people buy water in plastic just to brew with? Are they refill, or do you end up with a pile of bottles? Half the appeal of brewing for me is avoiding creating all the packaging/ rubbish that comes with buying take-home beer and having more options than local refils/swappable bottles.

I do. I occasionally reuse the bottles for small herb gardens. Mostly I recycle them. Its faster and cheaper than attempting to fill up from my RO system and there are fewer variables than my local water supply. To each their own.

I will often fill my better bottles with RO water from the grocery store machine for use in brewing and adjust minerals (for all grain brewing, that water is untreated for extract brews), but also have been known to use tap water treated with camden tablets. Both seem to work fine, no need to boil, even when used as make up water to adjust final fermentation volumes with either all grain or extract brews. So no, you do not need to "sterilize" make up water.

Latest posts

Back