Water source pipe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 78027

Reaction score
I am getting ready to setup my electric brewery in my garage but I need to put in the water source. The issue is it will be very difficult, but not impossible, to put in copper pipe. I am bringing the water in from the crawl space and I would rather not do too much soldering while in the not so spacious area. Also, once in the garage the pipes will have to be about 1/2 inch away from some 120 volt wires that have a tight fit around a corner. Because it's a corner each pipe, cold and hot water, will need to be soldered twice. This will be a general difficult project.

My question is has anyone used cpvc or pex pipe for the source water for their brewery. I have read where for some small amount of time there can be some plastic taste in the water. If it eventually goes away I'm ok, otherwise I will have to use copper. Any advise would be appreciated.

You could use compression joints instead of soldered ones in the crawl space if you are worried about soldering in the space. Although that might be less easy considering you will need space to wield wrenches to do that.

You could also do most of the soldering outside and feed the already soldered pipes into place.

You could use compression joints instead of soldered ones in the crawl space if you are worried about soldering in the space. Although that might be less easy considering you will need space to wield wrenches to do that.

You could also do most of the soldering outside and feed the already soldered pipes into place.

Could also just use shark bite to connect an all copper line.

I second the PEX recommendation. You can use the same type of clamp as used on keg line...Oetiker I think they're called.

Back