Water report help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWilliams

Reaction score
I plan on brewing my first all grain batch in a week or so. I've just started researching water chemistry and I've seen several suggest not to worry too much about it at first. I suppose I'll save that until I have a few all grain batches under my belt. However, could someone please help my anxiety and see if there is anything that would be really bad for my first few attempts? Anything I must tackle?

Here are the results from Ward Labs:

pH 7.6
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 24
1 Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.40
Cations / Anions, me/L / 4.0 4.0
ppm Sodium, Na 29
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 36
Magnesium, Mg 11
Total Hardness, CaCO3 136
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.7 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 20
Chloride, Cl 44
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 86
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 71
Total Phosphorus, P 0.33
Total Iron, Fe 0.01

Thanks so much!

I think it really depends on what style of beer your are planning. If you play around with Bru'n Water, you will pick up pretty quickly what changes may be needed to optimize your water for the style you are targeting. It can seem a little daunting initially, but it gets fun; and it will really improve your quality. Cheers!

+1 on bru'n Water. my water sucked so i started building it up from distilled water a few years back using bru'n water. it looks more intimidating than it really is. If i remember correctly it even has some presets for different kinds of beer. with your first all grain batch don't worry about the water. you have to much other stuff to focus on for now. you could fill some buckets the night before and throw some campden tablets in to use for your brew water. this will help get rid of chloramines. cheers and good luck!

Agree with some key points from above.
Water adjustment does depend on beer style.
Look into Brunwater.

You only need to add Camden if there is chlorine / chloramine in your water.

Its not terrible water, just recognize that its fairly mineralized. It may not be suited to delicate beer styles and dilution could be applied then.

I'm guessing the TDS is a typo and actually 240, not 24?

At first glance I saw 24. I thought, looks like it's about time to change the RO membrane! Then saw the rest, I'm assuming it's the odd man out.

Back