Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
I'm doing a NEIPA in the morning and when i added the water profile to beer smith it shot out to add gypsum. Which I do not think is correct and it does not tell me to add any calcium chloride. I'm attaching some screen shots any help or helping me understand would be greatful :)
br-water.PNG
recipee.PNG
water.PNG

Looking at the Neipa water profiles on Brewfather, they are so wildly different it's impossible to figure out where to land, especially for someone like me with very limited experience 😆

I mean here's two juicy Neipa's, how can they be so different & how can the Bicarbonate be 400+ ?...thats getting on for double what you want for a stout as far as I am aware.

So confusing.
Screenshot_20220827-115847.png

Screenshot_20220827-115830.png

Do you have an analysis for your water before it goes through the softener?
I do not. I do not have a softer in house. I belive the softner is coming from the water company (i could be completely off on that )

I'm doing a NEIPA in the morning and when i added the water profile to beer smith it shot out to add gypsum. Which I do not think is correct and it does not tell me to add any calcium chloride. I'm attaching some screen shots any help or helping me understand would be greatful

What water profile are you trying to match? First off, I am not a huge fan of the "click a button and auto calculate additions" features. I think if you instead took some time to understand your target profile, how that was different than your base water, and what minerals each salt addition added, you would understand your question: Why add Gypsum and not add Calcium Chloride?

Gypsum adds Calcium and Sulfate. Calcium Chloride adds, well, Calcium and Chloride. Your base water has Sulfate = 9* and Chloride = 89. If you are selecting a target profile with Sulfate > 9, then software will tell you to add some Sulfate (often Gypsum). If you select a target profile with Chloride of 89 or less, then software will not tell you to add Chloride.

*You need to multiply the Sulfate value on a Ward Labs report by 3 to get the value to enter into brewing software.

Given the very low levels of Calcium and Sulfate, and the elevated levels of Sodium and Chloride, this base water will be tricky to adjust for most styles. Assuming that the level of Sodium is acceptable, for an NEIPA I would likely: 1) Add enough Calcium Chloride to get my Chloride up to around 150 ppm, 2) add enough Gypsum to get my Sulfate up to 50-ish, 3) hope this gets my Calcium above 50, and 4) calculate how much acid is needed to lower the pH to 5.3 or 5.4.

Back