Water profile help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkavitch

Reaction score
Making an AG cream ale tomorrow, 1st AG ever. Need help building my water profile. Starting with RO water. My calculations based on John Palmers book are to add 1 gram CaCl and 1 gram gypsum. When i put the info into his online spreadsheet the recommendation is 2.5 of each?

Personally I'd just use Calcium Chloride to get the Ca+ up to 50-75ppm and forget the gypsum in this beer.

BigEd said:
Personally I'd just use Calcium Chloride to get the Ca+ up to 50-75ppm and forget the gypsum in this beer.

I was going to add epsom (misprint), just to increase the Mg for the yeasties. How much do you typically add per gallon for a light beer (srm 3-5)?

And do you add it all to the mash, or mash and sparge, or mash and boil?

I was going to add epsom (misprint), just to increase the Mg for the yeasties. How much do you typically add per gallon for a light beer (srm 3-5)?

And do you add it all to the mash, or mash and sparge, or mash and boil?

I wouldn't worry about the Epsom salt either. You only need trace amounts of Mg+ and the malt itself will have enough. Also for the same reason I suggested not using gypsum I'd decline the Epsom. In this type of beer I'm not interested in adding sulphate. This is a soft edged brew and you don't want a pale ale/IPA edge to the hop flavor. :mug:

I wouldn't worry about the Epsom salt either. You only need trace amounts of Mg+ and the malt itself will have enough. Also for the same reason I suggested not using gypsum I'd decline the Epsom. In this type of beer I'm not interested in adding sulphate. This is a soft edged brew and you don't want a pale ale/IPA edge to the hop flavor. :mug:

With RO water, I have added just 5 grams (about a teaspoon) to the water for a cream ale and it was perfect. I agree to NOT add gypsum or Epsom salts.

Yooper said:
With RO water, I have added just 5 grams (about a teaspoon) to the water for a cream ale and it was perfect. I agree to NOT add gypsum or Epsom salts.

Did you add a portion of that to the mash and the rest to the sparge?

Yooper btw you are great. I dont know if you are assigned to follow me around but you always answer my questions. Thanks

Did you add a portion of that to the mash and the rest to the sparge?

Lately, I've been adding the 5 grams to the total volume of water (strike + sparge) and then forget about whats in the water. I liked the results. I also believe that is what the primer in the forum stickies says to do.

Good luck!

Back