Water profile for oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
Grain bill:

Maris otter 8.55 lb
Flaked oats 1.31 lb
Chocolate Malt 11.2 oz
Crystal 80 10.4 oz
Roasted Barley 10.4

So far I have come up with:
Calcium: 40
Magnesium: 9
Sodium: 22
Sulfate: 34
Chloride: 71

Brunwater ph estimate is 5.38
Brewersfriend estimate is: grist DI ph 5.45
: Mash ph 5.50

I trust brunwater better but trying to get my ph up to 5.45, 5.5 range with out my baking soda taking over. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions thanks

Last edited:
I like to get my calcium above 50 to help ensure healthy fermentation. A little more CaCl2 should do it. Other than that, your numbers look good for a malt-focused brew.

Thanks for the response, still trying to get water profiles down for the each style I brew

Thanks for the response, still trying to get water profiles down for the each style I brew

Happy to help. In all honesty, I usually stick to a couple similar balanced profiles that work well for me. I'll shoot for between 60-75 ppm calcium, 5-10 magnesium, and 30-100 for both chloride and sulfate (swinging one way or the other if i want it malt focused or crisp).

When dealing with recipes with much roastiness, the combination of roast flavors and sulfate can be too drying. While a bit of sulfate is OK, use caution in your water formulation.

When dealing with recipes with much roastiness, the combination of roast flavors and sulfate can be too drying. While a bit of sulfate is OK, use caution in your water formulation.
How much sulfate to chloride ratio would you try to achieve? For a stout

Up to 90-100 ppm Sulfate should be OK, provided you do not bitter that thing like a DIPA and you balance it a bit with some chloride and sweetness from (crystal) malt.

But less will also work just fine.

Latest posts

Back