Water Profile for High Rye / High Dry Hopped Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
So I'm going to attempt a clone of a great Red Rye Pale Ale. 4# out of the 13# grain bill is going to be coming from rye or flaked grains, so this should provide a decent amount of sweetness and body you normally would see in an IPA. this is being paired with 35 IBUs of FWH and then a massive double dry hop with nothing in between. So the goal is balancing the body and sweetness of a rye red ale while maximizing flavor and aroma of the hops (not necessarily maximizing bitterness/dryness on the palette).

My thought was to no go below a 5.3 mash pH and aim for a more balanced 100 sulfate to 75 chloride, but I've never actually built a water profile for this type of beer. Am I on the right track, or would I have better results from my dry hopping by upping the gypsum a bit to dry the beer out a little as the grain bill can handle it? Also, at 14 SRM by mash pH should be right about where I'd want it with no brewing salt additions, so I'd want to keep them to the minimum level as to not drive that pH down too low.

Back