Water Profile For a Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yyvjpv

Reaction score
I'm still new to this and to date have not made any water adjustments, although so far I've done darker beers which I've heard are a bit more forgiving of not having perfect water. I am now planning a wit and wanted to get feedback on my current water profile and what I can do to it to improve the final product. SHould I be adding minerals or diluting with distilled or RO water? The pH seems high from what I have read here a wit should be closer to 5, should I be trying to lower pH?

Thanks in advance!

Component Concentration Units

Calcium 50 mg/L

Magnesium 14 mg/L

Sodium 8.1 mg/L

Sulphate 46 mg/L

Alkalinity 143 mg/L CaCO3

EDTA Hardness 184 mg/L CaCO3

pH 7.7 pH units

Glancing at it, your mash ph will probably be too high. Download the brun'n water spreadsheet, its free, and it makes it easy to do the calculations.

Im going to assume you will need to lower the mash ph. Use calcium chloride over gypsum to acidify. You are aiming for a mash ph around 5.2-5.4 or thereabouts.

Glancing at it, your mash ph will probably be too high. Download the brun'n water spreadsheet, its free, and it makes it easy to do the calculations.

Im going to assume you will need to lower the mash ph. Use calcium chloride over gypsum to acidify. You are aiming for a mash ph around 5.2-5.4 or thereabouts.

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a shot.

Back