Water profile and additions for my next IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamb258

Reaction score
I am trying to dig through countless hours of information of water chemistry and brewing. Here is the best what I believe to be an accurate representation of my water profile in Ricahrdon, TX. (see attached)

Using many of the free calculators online and the burton profile I am getting something in the neighborhood of adding 5 grams of gypsum and 2 grams of epsom salt. One program i use diluted (50/50) with RO and others I left it alone as dilution wasn't an option.

It also lists my pH at 7.38 and my residual chlorine at 3.09 mg/L. On this note I am unsure on additions/treatments for these numbers.

I am still digging through information on here but I was hoping to maybe get an easier answer from the more experienced. I sure don't want to have to build my water from scratch/RO every time I want to brew but I also want to make sure I can make the best beer possible.

Thanks,
Adam

wqa0111.jpg

That looks like great brewing water as is.

I recommend filtering through a carbon block filter at less than 1 gpm, which should get rid of chlorine/chloramine and any off-flavors.

An addition of Potassium metabisulfite (500 mg/20 gal I believe) will instantly get rid of chlorine/chloramine if you don't feel like filtering.

I think a Burton profile is rather extreme. Probably all you would need is a modest Calcium sulfate addition, but try searching for recommendations on a good level for an IPA. You may want to experiment with adding Calcium chloride to see if it gets you a positive effect on flavor. Chloride is described as a counterbalance to hop-enhancing sulfate, producing an effect of sweetness and roundness in the beer in complement to the malt.

The Brewing Science forum is where water treatment is usally discussed.

Back