Water modification -- Is this the general idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanchmd

Reaction score
I've been reading up on water chemistry here and elsewhere -- so I have learned I need to have my mash ph 5.2-5.6 and I need sulfates and calcium chloride adjustments to get my water right for the style. Here's a stupid question I am sure -- is the basic process to first add your brewing salts in your infusion and sparge water, to style, and then adjust for ph when mashing? Won't the ph adjustments screw up the water chemistry for the style you are trying to hit? Thanks

One does not adjust water mineral content to set mash pH. That is done with acids (lactic, phosphoric, hydrochloric, sulfuric) from bottles, on acidulated malts or dark colored malts and, where a lot of the latter have been used, bases (sodium bicarbonate, lime). Mineral content, in particular the amount of calcium ion in the water, does have a minor effect on mash pH and should be accounted for if calcium is at above, say, 40 mg/L. Mineral content is set according to the style of the beer e.g. very little for bohemian lagers, lots of sulfates for Burton ales, lots of sodium chloride of Goze.... If the style demands lots of sulfate, for example, one usually adds most of it as the calcium salt in which case the effect of calcium on mash pH should be considered.

I've been reading up on water chemistry here and elsewhere -- so I have learned I need to have my mash ph 5.2-5.6 and I need sulfates and calcium chloride adjustments to get my water right for the style. Here's a stupid question I am sure -- is the basic process to first add your brewing salts in your infusion and sparge water, to style, and then adjust for ph when mashing? Won't the ph adjustments screw up the water chemistry for the style you are trying to hit? Thanks

Adjust the minerals to match your desired profile. Then adjust the acid content of the grist/water to target a desired pH.

Don't attempt any adjustments to pH once the mash is underway. The changes need to be all preplanned.

Here is a recent post on the topic that may be useful.

Latest posts

Back