Water Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobainisalive

Reaction score
I contacted my local water treatment plant to get a water report and I was met with people who seemed like I was completely putting them out and they were very reluctant to give me any information but here is what they gave me.

Alkalinity 115
Bicarbonate 115
Calcium Sulfate 27
Chloride 0
PH 7.55

Every time I would ask them a specific question they would refer me back to these numbers. Can anyone please help me understand this? Thanks in advance.

-Todd

They were shining you on. They may not test all the parameters that brewers are interested in. They don't really have to, but they do typically monitor hardness and alkalinity since that determines the corrosivity or scaling potential of the water in their pipe network.

You may need to have your water tested yourself.

Agree, have it tested by a lab. You can get it done at Wards for $16 + shipping (another $10 possibly).

The grumpy old fart in me says write to the president of the company (if it's private) or the city (if it's municipal) and explain to them that they work for you and that if you ask a reasonable question you expect a reasonable answer. If it's public, tell them you'll vote Republican so they don't get their fat pensions. Be sure to report back here how this works out.

The practical side says do what nilo recommended. Send a sample to Ward Labs.

Back