Water From an Artesian Well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianJesus

Reaction score
Sorry, I just posted this in the mead forum but realized it will get more and possibly better replies here.

I have a natural well nearby that is reported to have the purest water in the world. Would this be safe to use in mead without boiling? How would it compare to bottled water? My local Walmart sells bottled springwater from a nearby town atop the Niagra Escarpment in the opposite direction of this well. It also tastes very good.

Do you think this would contain much bacteria if any at all? Would I end up with an infected mead if I were to ferment using this water without boiling it? The scientist who researches it says it's cleaner than any bottled water you can buy in the store and goes so far as to state that it's cleaner than any arctic ice from 8000 years ago. Should I trust his judgement?

I intend on using this water with Rice Wine before I try it with mead just so I have an idea how it tastes in a fermented beverage compared to the other local bottled spring water. The store bought water tastes more like my local tap water and the water from the local well has a more 'natural' taste, sort of like the rainwater it once was. The store bought bottled water lists only spring water and ozone as ingredients, so there are no additives unlike my tap water.

Here's a link with more info about the well:
https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/ar...st-water-world

That's what I will probably do is boil it and pitch the yeast the next day. I was just wondering how many people here have experience using untreated ground water. From what the article says, it should be safe to use as-is, but you can never be too careful, especially when using over $100 worth of honey.

I will look into getting a sample tested, I just have no idea how to go about that or who to send it to or how much it would cost. Maybe I can get the local scientist's lab reports, there is a sign there saying they test it every 3 months.

I'd assume a small level of naturally occupied bacteria but nothing crazy. Doesn't some government agency have to test the water?

Back