Water for Calibrating Ph Meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalamson5368

Reaction score
Just got a new electric Ph meter, came with some buffers to calibrate, but also says you should do so with deionized water.

I've had some trouble finding deionized water - would it be ok to calibrate with distilled water?

Thanks!

Distilled water can become quite acidic if exposed to air as it readily absorbs CO2.
I would not use it for calibration...

Cheers!

Again, not a great idea, imo.
"Pure" distilled water with even incidental exposure to air is more likely to read in the high 6s than 7.0, and can test as low as pH 5.5 given enough absorbed CO2.

Just last week the commercially produced distilled water I use to rinse off my meter between testing wort samples read 6.85 while my 7.00 calibration buffer read exactly 7.01...

Cheers!

Do you have Amazon Prime? I order the solutions pre-made; 4.0 and 7.0. $15 for 8oz of each with shipping from Atlas Scientific. They have a set of 4oz bottles too, but for almost as much money. They last long time.

Latest posts

Back