Water chemistry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2xbrewing

Reaction score
I just got my water report and was wondering if anyone could tell me what i can brew with it, how i can treat the problem areas ( low ph high chloride) and any general suggestions you can give. The water does not taste very good. Thanks for any help, Heres the report:
Ph - 6.4
Total dissolved solids - 696
Electrical conductivity mmho/cm - 1.16
Cations - 10.9
Anions - 10.7
Sodium - 128
Potassium - 8
Calcium - 86
Magnesium -10
Total hardness - 257
Nitrate -5.8
Sulfate -9
Chloride - 262
Carbonate - <1
Bicarbonate - 136
Total alkalinity - 136
Total phosphorous - <0.01
Total iron - <0.01
< not detected below detection limit.

That is not a great water to work with. The sodium and chloride are quite high for brewing use. They can't be removed without RO treatment.

Thank alot i was trying to find a whole house treatment that wasnt too expensive but i dont think that is possible. I have a water softner installed but using it will put more sodium i guess.

Yes, the softener will push the sodium up to close to 250. I would imagine that wouldn't be very tasty with all that bicarbonate and chloride.

Whole house RO is possible and whether it if feasible or not will depend on what your threshold of pain is WRT expense and how your house is plumbed. If your house runs PEX then you can drop in a 1000 GPD RO skid in for about $3K and perhaps again as much for pressure tank, atmospheric tank, pumps and controls. As there is really no need to flush your toilets with RO water or shower in RO water you could get by with a smaller system if you can plumb the kitchen, laundry room, brewery and perhaps a couple of lavatories with the RO and run the well water to everything else.

Back